Exciting news about the KENSINGTON RUNE STONE!!

  • Rick Osmon
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2007

      Hello Loopers!!

      Here's your copy of the e~newsletter for the week of 22 October 2007

      In this issue:

      This Week's Show Exciting news about the KENSINGTON RUNE STONE!!

      Op/Ed #4Steve Garcia responds to Randy Koppang's Coneheads, (cont.)

      Other news: Quite a few for "off-season"

      Events

      Last week's show: The Antiquarian Society Founder, Stuart Mason (NOT!!)

      NEW FEATURE!!  Site of the week

      Upcoming Shows
      This Week's Show  Exciting news about the KENSINGTON RUNE STONE!!

      Scott Wolter has recieved word of some long lost research materials on the KRS!! He, David Brody, and the discoverer will discuss the importance of this material.

      The previous investigator, Dr. Rodney Beecher Harvey, collected extensive research materials surrounding KRS. He spent some twenty years on the subject and the entire collection, some in very delicate and threatened condition, has been relocated. Dr. harvey was a plant physiologist and his findings regarding the "leeching" of the tree roots are of vast importance to the question of authenticity. Additionally, he made micrographs of each character on the stone, substantiating that the characters are as they appeared at the time he photographed them.

      What does this all mean? Tune in this Thursday at 9 PM Eastern, 8 Central to hear Scott, David, and Jennifer explain.

      Op/Ed #4Steve Garcia responds to Randy Koppang's Coneheads (cont.) (this addition recieved by email and used with permission)

      What I did NOT say about Koppang's article (in Ancient Waterways Society , ed.), and was actually the trigger for me writing, was that, with all the good he did by compiling all those sources, he then diverted from solid research (IMO) and digressed over to an almost exclusively "sold" presentation, arguing only from his one position, before he had completely finished presenting his arguments.  He should have shown (again IMO, because he seems to have the info at his disposal) more strongly that the likelihood of the diffusion was impossible (which I think is true, too).  Yes, he stated that, but then he takes off on it prematurely. like it had really been established by his prior arguments.  If he thought that, I would disagree; it was not established adequately - even though he is right, IMO.

      Before he was done, he sounded like a New Ager.  I am an old New Ager, and I know that that approach loses.  He could take a lesson from Michael Cremo.  Solid work and solid, no quantum leap, logic and conclusions are what will make all "our" work worthwhile and win in the end.  The world simply is NOT the way science and history now present it; it should not be allowed to continue to exist and distort our true history and our true reality.

      Still, I do not want to rain on Koppang's parade.  I learned a LOT from his article, and am glad to have read it.  But some who might see value in it will be completely alienated by his New Age references.  By that, I mean academic types.

      I am convinced that the "New Scientists", and "New Historians", otherwise known as alternative researchers - in time - will not need academic types.  The academics have their Royal Society and their AAAS.  The Royal Society, at least, was begun with the intent of requiring empirical proof of all 'science' presented.  Within a generation, however, it swerved toward internecine politics, where it resides to this day, IMHO.  The AAAS is a good old boy network, an exclusionary club.

      New Scientists need to get to the roots of the early Royal Society.  Archaeology, history and science are now entrenched paradigm-toeing establishments, and all three fields are based on past misperceptions and dead ends - that they are simply too blindered to get out of, not without help, at least.  New Scientists, however, do need to have standards of their/our own, just as the Royal Society started out with.  Why did the Royal Society see the need for empirical proof?  To battle the Church, which used dogma fundamentally, and persuasion when necessary.  The RS needed to establish itself with different principles.

      In that same manner, New Scientists need to also establish itself with different principles.  We all are convinced by the persuasion and presentations of our New Scientist researchers, because we can agree with their points about the inadequacies in establishment history and science and archaeology.  In other words, the establishment has only convinced us that there is something more out there than the Nova side of things and the general pap-for-the-masses shows on The History Channel, with their endless repetition of establishment dogmas.  We all know that the anomalous bits out there have to be included in scientific theories, not swept under the carpet.  If 'Science' and 'History' won't address those gaps, we (or our researchers) will.

      But in the process of doing so, standards much, much higher than Eric Von Daniken and Charles Berlitz used have to be applied.  David Hatcher Childress, for all his strengths, follows more along the lines of Von Daniken and Berlitz, and that is okay for attracting people to our side.  But there has to be deeper, more exacting scholarship than David does (his lack of indexes and, sometimes, footnotes, for example, to his published books drives me crazy, and he knows it).  People have to be able to find passages and sources.

      But that is just part of it.

      New Scientists and New Historians also need to present for more than just the occasional dabbler.  There need to be standards, maybe even peer review - though peer review is so abused in Science as to be defacto book burning.  A search, at least some thought, needs to be done to find a way of filtering out the silliness from the serious, the gullible from the open minded.  Koppang has a mix of silliness and seriousness; the silliness drags down the seriousness, making the article ripe for book burning.

      I brought up to David the need for an Alternative Researcher Royal Society, and I got no response from him, really.  I don't have any status as a researcher, but I am quite well read and hold up with researchers quite well at David's conferences.  (I can contribute points of view and devil's advocacy, but am not capable of focusing enough to be a researcher in my own right.  I envy those who can do that, but am not willing to give up my jack-of-all-trades life to focus on one area.  If I didn't have to pay bills, it might be different; then I could have 4 or 5 projects going at one time.  But I do have another life, and I have to work within my reality.)

      So, I read articles and books and can discern bull**** from solid work, sometimes mixed all together in one work.  Koppang is a mixture, with some real value and some real fluff.  All I myself do is opine.  At least he is out there finding things out and bringing them to fruition, for all of us to opine about.  So, I am down the pecking order from him.  But it doesn't stop me from commenting, does it?  LOL

      Steve
      ******************
      I'll respond to Steve's comments in next week's edition.

      And you can, too!! All op/ed and letters to the editor will be published (editorial rights reserved for language -- see above)

      Send submissions to oz@...
      Oz

      Other News

      Alaskan tribes to receive prehistoric remains - 2 days agoHuman remains estimated to be more than 10,000 years old that were found in a cave in the Tongass National Forest (USA) rightfully belong to the southeast Alaska Tlingit tribes,...

      End of excavations at Galabar Dam - 2 days agoArcheological excavations behind Galabar dam in Zanjan province (Iran) wrapped up after four and half months continual effort in the region. Discovering of more than 30 graves and burial gifts... Remains unearthed on a Welsh burial mound - 2 days agoThe Brownslade Barrow Project 2004-06, run by the South Pembrokeshire Ranges Recording Advisory Group (Wales), unearthed an archaeological monument on a Bronze Age burial mound. More than 1000 bone fr... 'National monuments' found on Irish hill - 2 days agoThe campaign by the Irish Hill of Allen Action Group in relation to the quarrying of the hill by Roadstone took a new twist last week, with the claim that... 7,000 year-old statue discovered in Moravia - 2 days ago

      Events

      THE PUZZLE OF THE NEWPORT TOWER: Assembling the Pieces

      The First Symposium

      10:00A.M.- 5:00 P.M. SATURDAY, OCTOBER 27, 2007

      NEWPORT ART MUSEUM

      76 Bellevue Avenue, Newport Rhode Island 02840

      Since space is limited, please phone Martha Tucker at (401)847-9755 for reservations;

      you may order a box lunch at the same time

      The symposium is free; box lunches will be available for $9.50,

      with a choice of Vegetable Wrap; and Turkey & Prosciutto, Ham & Swiss, and Tuna Salad sandwiches

      Many restaurants are nearby

      PROGRAM

      10:00 - 10:15 a.m.             WELCOME AND INTRODUCTION

                                          Jan Barstad, President,Chronognostic Research Foundation, Tempe, AZ

      10:15 - 11.00               ARCHITECTURE & CONSTRUCTION

      OF THE NEWPORT TOWER

                                          Suzanne Carlson, Preservation Architect, NEARA

      11:15 - 11.45               ARCHAEOASTRONOMY OF THE NEWPORT TOWER

                                          Professor William Penhallow, Charlestown, R.I.

      11:45 - 12:00 p.m.            WHITTALLÂ’S 20 POINTS: DVD of  a Presentation at Orkney Science Festival, 1997, by James P. Whittall Jr., Early Sites Research Society

      12:00-1:30                   LUNCH

      1:30 - 2:00                   DATING THE MORTAR

                                          Rob Carter, Physicist

      2:00 - 2:45                   THE NEWPORT TOWER: MM&O

                                          Jan Barstad

      2.45 - 3.30                   NEW LIGHT ON THE OLD PUZZLE

                                          Jim Egan, Professional Photography & Digital, Providence, RI, NEARA

      3:30 - 4:00                   SEARCHING FOR PROTOTYPES

                                          Suzanne Carlson

      4:00 - 5:00                   PANEL and OPEN DISCUSSION

      Last week's show: The Antiquarian Society Founder, Stuart Mason

       Stuart Mason was the scheduled guest, but due to confusion over time zones, he didn't make the interview. We'll catch up with Stuart at a later date. Stuart is the founder of The Antiquarian Society. The hour consisted of my and William's ad lib, mostly about the AAAPF / THOR conference, pyramid theories, Wm's study of Ky sundials, and how poorly Skype performed for your host.

      NEW FEATURE!!  Site of the week

      I decided that one of the best ways to share my experiences in this community is to share with the listeners some of the web sites that have really made me think.

      Here's one, put up by David Campbell, that has photos that really intrigue me.

      Upcoming Shows

      November 4th: TBA

      November 8th: Al Cornette discusses petroglyphs of Kentucky's Red River Gorge and his book on the subject, The Sandstone Chronicles, Rock Art of the Red River Gorge, an Appalachian Journey

      Did you recieve this newsletter from someone else and would you like to recieve it regularly? If so please send an email to oz@..., subject "Subscribe"

      Thanks for listening

      Your host
      Rick Osmon, aka Oz
      http://oopaloopacafe.com to find great info about guests and previous shows

      http://blogtalkradio.com/oopa-loopa-cafe to listen to the live shows and join the chat

      Call in during show (646) 652-2720

      Mobile (not during live show, please) (812) 259-1102