Caves & Caverns, etc.

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 17, 2007
      All,

      I am titling this post hoping others from this group will share
      cave/cavern experiences, possibly cave art and petroglyphs along or
      near global waterways. I would also include ceynotes, which have come
      up in discussion within this message group in relation to the Yucatan
      region of Mexico. Norm from this group has done extensive cave
      exploration, not sure about others here, but I am sure others besides
      myself would be interested in learning about such experiences
      personally as well as locations and details of specific caves.

      Rick, the cave boat trip was at Blue Springs Cavern, in Indiana; with
      variation in water levels and the frequent mud coating during frequent
      high water periods, I can see where petroglyphs and evidence of
      ancient human habitation or exploration could not remain at such sites.

      The web site below shows Mammoth Cave in Kentucky as the longest in
      the world and that the longest (not deepest) caves in the US are
      located in Tennessee, S. Dakota, Kentucky, W. Virginia. "Facts, Trivia
      and World Records" from the Upper Cumberland Grotto, an internal
      organization of the National Speleological Society (NSS):
      http://www.uppercumberlandcaving.net/facts.html

      With a huge branch hanging on the phone line to my house, home
      Internet service has been halted the past few weeks, and I have been
      on the road so am slow at accessing posts here. Re: new members who
      signed on August and September (one name listed in Profiles is Lexanne
      from California). Welcome to the others also and please feel free to
      introduce yourselves and interests, inquiries.

      Herb, I hear from the publisher of Ancient American that you have an
      article in the current issue which was mailed out last week. I shall
      look forward to reading it upon arrival home.

      I understand there is an article on Nova Scotia in the same issue of
      Ancient American; we have a group member, Terry from Nova Scotia with
      a terrific profile and photo of a deep river valley below where he is
      hiking. (Click "Members" at left of our site)

      I will be ordering a DVD or taped copy of member Vince Barrow's
      excellent presentation Rick is putting together from the
      AAAPF/THOR/Midwest Epigraphic Society conference. When they are
      released, I will be happy to loan a copy to any of you who wish to
      view it.

      Steve, I was delighted to read your well presented, thought-provoking
      article "Coneheads" here and glad you gave Rick permission to share it
      with the Oopa Loopa radio Cafe site for other groups to view. An
      engineering professor friend who spoke at the conference on the
      Medicine Wheel will probably drop by for coffee at my home one of
      these days to read Internet posts; hopefully my computer will be
      running again or we will have to access the library. Since I derived
      the term Ancient Waterways Society mainly from some of Dr. Scherz'
      research, he said he particularly enjoys posts from this group. Still
      says our site here would be a terrific avenue for "papers" relating to
      ancient global waterways. (Some of you are proving that magazine
      articles, your personal web sites, radio programs, and conferences
      also do nicely in that area). Jim will enjoy your comments on Science
      and Archeology, Steve. He finds frustration when data from "the
      humanities" gets mixed up with or substituted for serious use of the
      scientific method. Perhaps I am not stating that correctly.
      Nevertheless, it is one of the bones of contention he and I have in
      dialogues together (I am a Social Science major and sometimes feel
      many scientists depend entirely on physical data/surface evidence alone).

      To those unfamiliar with the reference to "Pat" in the Post who Rick
      stated lives near two SW Indiana caverns, my thanks for their efforts
      with the conference and congratulations on their upcoming marriage
      later this month.

      Hope to hear more about caves and riverway caverns from some of you,
      which I will access from the library when I get home tomorrow.
      Terrific group you are here; thank you for our association.

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2007
        Here is the story of the mound destruction at the Cahokia Mounds by continuing to expand the landfill over three of the mounds and numerous burial grounds.
        http://www.bnd.com/276/story/198628.html