The Antiquarian Society Founder, Stuart Mason

  • Rick Osmon
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2007
      Hello Loopers!!
      Here's your copy of the e~newsletter for the week of 15 October 2007
      In this issue:
      This Week's Show The Antiquarian Society Founder, Stuart Mason
      Op/Ed #3Steve Garcia responds to Randy Koppang's Coneheads
                          Learn how ancient people cooked
      Last week's show: Coneheads
      And Saturday's "Special": Live from Paris
      Upcoming Shows
      This Week's Show: Stuart Mason, Founder of the Antiquarian Society

      Stuart Mason

      The Antiquarian Society

      Stuart Mason is the founder of The Antiquarian Society, a registered not for profit international organisation that promotes archaeology and astronomy at a grassroots, hands-on level. The society is a network of likeminded people sharing knowledge and working locally within the community and globally.

      Having travelled twice around the world Stuart has explored many ancient temples, from the jungles of Yucatan to the monasteries of the Himalayas, as well as discovering and documenting ancient temples of the south pacific jungles long forgotten and reclaimed by nature. He has met the wise, and the wicked, and been involved in many native ceremonies.

      Since founding The Antiquarian Society, Stuart has overseen the construction of a unique Astro-archaeological database, whose purpose is to record every single astronomical effect at an ancient place anywhere on the planet visit:

      for more info.

      Stuart believes that by promoting the ancient knowledge documented in this database, from the nursery school to the bowling green, The Antiquarian Society can foster a sense of environmental fascination that will ultimately contribute to a broader appreciation of our environment and our responsibility to it.

      Stuart is an expert observer in the subject of Astro-archaeology and has witnessed many celestial effects at ancient sites. His enthusiasm for the subject encourages the amateur archaeologist in all of us to get out into the field and find alignments.

      Stuart talks about how the movements of the sun, moon, stars and planets are encoded into ancient temples, stone circles and pyramids. He explores rises and sets of the celestial bodies and how shadow can move at ancient sites around the world.

      For more information about the work of the antiquarian society visit http://www.theantiquariansociety.com/home.html

      Mission Statement
      The Antiquarian Society willÂ…

      Discover, record, and observe astronomical -alignments at ancient sites.

      Encourage the observance of such phenomena and offer explanations on how the celestial bodies interact with the earth.

      Give talks about sites we have decoded and observered

      Create a network of like minded Antiquarians interested in pursuing astro-archaeology, alignments, some of whom may assist with accommodation and local knowledge for Antiquarian Society members.

      Protect ancient archaeological sites, around the world.

      Add new sites to a database of all known astro-archeological events around the world.

      Create a record of present day ceremonies at these sites for future generations.

      Assume a responsibility to check cartography for discrepancies between old and new maps, in order to ascertain whether ancient sites are being omitted for the sake of modern day development or whether they are being destroyed by the farmers plough.

      Ensure the site is clean and free from litter.

      Raise awareness about saving the megalithic cultural remains for the sake of future generations.

      Op/Ed #3Steve Garcia responds to Coneheads (reproduced from Ancient Waterways Society   and edited w/ his permission)
      I agree in principle with Randy Koppang about the dolichocephalic skulls being evidence of another race.  In doing so, I disagree with David Hatcher Childress - and David knows I disagree with him.  These skulls, IMVHO, could not be formed by headboarding.  My understanding of the application of forces, put together with what I believe is sound logic, and also with an engineer's eye for structure, all these tell me that headboarding would produce a skull morphology considerably different to the skulls I have seen in photographs taken in Ica and Lima and in Mexico.  (I traveled with a group to Peru, with one of my main aims to see the skulls in Ica, but our traveling schedule got us into Ica too late to visit the Museum - and too late on our trip to stay till morning.  So, I have not seen them in person - YET.)

      As I read Randy Koppang's treatise, I was both impressed and disappointed.

      I was impressed because he actually saw beyond just the individual and asserts that it was a race, a real live (at the time) other member of the great ape family.  Although that evidence was right in front of me, I never made that leap.

      I was also impressed that Randy also shows how widespread the dolichocephalic skulls are, and how many were found in some places.  I had only known about a hand full, maybe two had fulls, of them.

      I was impressed that Randy was able to compile such a large bibliography regarding these skulls and their provenances.  Those earlier researchers are gold to me.

      I was impressed that there were found examples of foetuses with dolichocephalic skulls.  If true, this would - in and of itself - be incontrovertible proof that head binding was not the cause of the skulls' odd proportions.

      Why was I disappointed?

      IMHO, the only resolution for the artificial/natural argument is to do anatomical, DNA and microscopic examinations of the skulls and compare the results to humans - and apes, too, for that matter.

      I am disappointed because I see the issue as being one of science, whereas Koppang argues in historical and archaeological terms.   While those arguments can be made to persuade toward the opening up of the issue for study, they can never resolve the issue conclusively.

      Now you may say, "But archaeology IS a science!"  I actually have come to the conclusion that archaeology is history that uses some scientific method to collect data, then uses historical paradigms to interpret the data, thus rendering the science to a supporting role.   In other words, I think archaeology adds an artificial layer of "spin" on what should be allowed to speak for itself, thus muddying the waters of understanding for everyone.

      It seems to be a very straightforward to do DNA sampling on the skulls, and should be done for a variety of reasons:
      1. The DNA might show a difference in the number of chromosomes from humans, just as apes do.
      2. The DNA might show some anomalous gene sequences.  This might put them outside known human variations.
      3. The DNA might show that the ones in Malta, Iraq, Egypt, Peru and Mexico are related genetically.  If they are due to head binding (which would have been done on essentially random people, DNA-wise), the chances of them being related genetically is basically zero.
      Similarly, anatomical study should include these:
      1. Comparison with KNOWN headboarding specimens.  I believe that the methods of head flattening (see for example A Chinook Woman Head Binding Her Child ) can only serve to diminish the volume in the cranial vault.
      2. Comparison of the cranial suturing on dolichocephalic skulls with "normal" human skulls.  In looking at photos, the suture patterns look to me to be very different from normal skulls - though I could be mistaken on this.  (I don't want to be right about any of this; I just want to know the truth.  If I am mistaken, then my logic and perceptions were not functioning well on this issue, and I can live with that - I will have learned something new, after all!)
      I'll post a continuation of this next week -- Oz
      Other news:
      Probing ancient shipwrecks with DNA:
      DNA can help reveal what long-sunken transport jars
      contained, report scientists studying a Greek wreck.

      TV crew joins the dig of an Iron Age hill fort 6 days agoCounty archaeologists have spent months digging the dirt at Credenhill Park Wood (Herefordshire, England). But they were given a helping hand by the Time Team TV crew, who spent a... Discovery of a Neolithic village in Iran 6 days agoSounding works in order to delimit the area of Chough Tepe in Mazandaran province (Iran), has resulted in identifying architectural layers. Based on historical evidence, archeologists give the possibi... Learn how ancient people cooked 6 days agoClay pots. Stones with holes in the center. Large, open hearths with cast-iron pots. Pits filled with roasting game. Each of these cooking techniques will be part of an archaeology... Suspected prehistoric burial found in Texas - 6 days agoJon Lohse, an archaeologist with Texas State University's Center for Archaeological Studies says an extremely rare metal arrow point isn't the only thing that he has found near the proposed... Rotherwas Ribbon protesters' charges dropped
      Last week's show:
      Coneheads Randy Koppang told us his evidence and conclusions regarding these radically elongated ancient skulls. A very good discussion, I thought. It covered the evidence of these strange people found in places stretching from the cradle of civilization, to ancient Egypt, Malta, and the New World and from the megalithic era to the present.
      And Saturday's "Special": Live from Paris, Brian Kannard called from Paris where he observed the 700th anneversary of the arrest of the Knights Templar. Despite some phone woes, Parisian sirens in the background, and the fact that he was on his second honeymoon, Brian provided us a good report and insights to the history of the order. Who knows what Brian will learn at Castle Sinclair...
      Upcoming Shows

      Recap of the 2007 AAAPF Conference

      If at any time you no longer wish to receive this weekly newsletter, simply reply to this email with subject "unsubscribe" and I will reluctantly and gently remove you from the list.
      Did you recieve this newsletter from someone else and would you like to recieve it regularly? If so please send an email to oz@..., subject "Subscribe"
      Thanks for listening
      Your host
      Rick Osmon, aka Oz
      http://oopaloopacafe.com to find great info about guests and previous shows
      http://blogtalkradio.com/oopa-loopa-cafe to listen to the live shows and join the chat
      Call in during show (646) 652-2720
      Mobile (not during live show, please) (812) 259-1102