Post-Ohio/Ft. Ancient conference '07

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 16, 2007
      All here,

      Am still on the road since the early October conference near Ft.
      Ancient, Ohio. I followed major riverways through Illinois to Starved
      Rock and related mounds last Friday. Haven't a portable computer and
      Internet time nearly expired, so am send a copy of a rather lengthy
      update to the THOR/Ohio Rock site.

      Just to keep you posted... Some of this note relates to ancient
      waterways. Susan

      All (I hesitate to mention other names with so many
      dedicated Thor members, committee members, and presenters from this
      site greatly involved in the three day conference).

      What a fine conference it was and I look forward to the next. Since I
      was mainly at the back of the room doing reservations and raffle
      tickets, I missed many of the speakers and will probably be purchasing
      tapes of the conference.

      In my work, I like to introduce the work of many of you and
      occasionally show DVD's or video segments at meetings such as Ancient
      Earthworks Society on the UW Wisconsin-Madison campus. Hopefully the
      THOR group will have another conference (or smaller 'symposium' and/or
      informal, roll-up-your-sleeves workshops (my preference) of your own
      in Ohio. And participate with groups again such as MES, AAAPF, the
      Kentucky group, Lee Pennington's friends in Tennessee, Zena, Ida, and
      others on the East Coast...and other groups Hope another conference
      will be held again near the Ohio River in Ky, Indiana, or Illinois.

      Which I followed for a couple of days after the conference....

      After saying goodbye to my roommates Pam and Oedith Sunday afternoon,
      I drove south and ran into AAAPF and THOR friends touring the Serpent
      Mounds, saw John leaving to head eastward before returning out west.
      I decided to head south, maybe follow the Ohio River en route back to
      N. Wisconsin. Though water routes worldwide have drastically
      changed/been altered through the millinnea, I like to travel/mingle
      with diverse others as ancients did in and along riverways, especially
      intercontinental waterways and territory new to me, as was the case
      through SW Ohio, Kentucky, S. Indiana and Illinois. After camping in
      N. Kentucky then back slong the Ohio River, found a little boat tour
      underground through part of a 22 mile cave which had white fish and
      crawdads, bats...probably not too far from Rick Osman's home in SW
      Indiana. Then over to Olney, Illinois (famous for white squirrels
      w/black eyes) to interview residents to see if I can make any sense of
      the alleged 'Burrows Cave'. Oddly, at a coffeehouse and several gas
      stations, no one had heard the term nor any reference of such a cave,
      but a middle aged woman from a taco restaurant gave directions to a
      'cave full of dead bodies' on private property several miles from
      there she had seen as a child. When I reached the end of the road
      leading to where she told me, I was seriously warned by a local man
      working there not to mess around in places where I do not belong...
      property dotted with small, operational oil dereks . Likely the
      alleged caveful of dead bodies would not have been associated with
      'Burrows Cave', and much intrigue associated with all of these
      stories, I did learn for a fact that there are countless caves, many
      unexplored, throughout hundreds of miles of rugged hills in the
      several-state region. Rain and nightfall were descending and I had to
      drive northward but realized that evening my disinterest in ever
      wishing to disturb burial sites of any sort. And...should a Burrows
      Cave exist that is or would produce an unimaginable wealth of
      artifacts, possibly even burials, I do not want to be directly
      involved, especially if/when such 'treasures' surface/resurface.

      I am mildly acquainted with Russell Burrows...met him late 80's or
      early 90's sitting at a conference table next to me in the mountains
      of Utah. I got to know him personally a couple of years ago and will
      remain greatful for his very kindly making an initial call to me the
      night before I left for a month of so of volunteer work in New Orleans
      he'd learned about via the Internet. He also made several daytime
      calls to my cellphone when I was alone doing 'street nursing' and
      spending ten to twelve hours gutting homes with kids less than half my
      age in flooded New Orleans wards. I had just turned sixty, perhaps was
      trying to show my family I was not over the hill. Not an easy time
      and phone calls/emails from many of you were immensely appreciated.

      I bring up Russell Burrows' name here because last week after the
      conference was my first (brief) visit through Olney, Illinois and the
      Embarrass and Little Wabash Rivers. I have known Wayne/Chris May,
      Frank/Laura Joseph, assisted with their conferences out West, and been
      a subscriber to Ancient American a decade and a half. Yet still can't
      get a grasp on a Burrows Cave. From his now-Colorado home, Russell
      told me twice that had he known the ruckus that was to have taken
      place the two decades since his fall into 'Burrows Cave', he would
      have walked away from it and not looked back.

      Another research friend who called several times when I was in
      Louisiana is John White of MES. The conference provided fine
      opportunity for me to express my appreciation in person for the
      sometimes two or three extra 'coffee' breaks a day such calls afforded
      me, to go off-site. John told me last week something of the
      seriousness of his efforts and associations...that in his work and
      associations relating to his work, that he avoids anything he
      considers "entertainment". I agree with John and feel it has less to
      do with age than with the seriousness of the times and subject matter.

      These relationships we have with each and new insights we learn along
      the way are some of the benefits of knowing you in this serious
      'business' of broad field diffusionist volunteer work. Thank you all.

      Today, October 16th I am still on the road...now in Madison,
      Wisconsin, went on the road two days before the conference officially
      started. That Wednesday prior (at 6AM), I'd found William flea
      marketing at a large farm in Eastern Indiana and doing a considerable
      amount of verbal PR work and conference flyer distribution at the
      market, auction, and restaurant. Being a vendor myself now that I am
      semi-retired, en route to the conference I arrived at the 'farm'
      market before midnight Tuesday and set up a few tables myself to pay
      travel expenses down and back. I wish William's flea market associate,
      Gaylord, a speedy recovery and hope to meet him at a future meeting or
      conference.

      Prior to the conference, I couldn't get William's Ohio Rock DVD from
      the 2006 conference to work so played "They All Came to America" at an
      earlier meeting in Madison. I plan to show "PreColumbian" tapes from
      the back room of one of the nation's largest rock shops again next
      summer at their annual outdoor People's Festival in Allouez/Mohawk,
      Michigan. AAAPF board members Judy Johnson and Patt Hendrickson will
      be co-hosting their own Peoples Festival 100 miles west of there one
      week prior and I may also find opportunities to show tapes of various
      speakers. Excellent way for newcomers to learn of events and ongoing
      research such as goes on at sites such as this, PreColumbian
      Inscriptions, Ancient Waterways Society...

      William, I've not seen your DVD; remind me to exchange this one for
      DVD's you distributed to the 2005 and 2006 conferences. I do believe
      you, Rick, Charles, Pam and others could put together a fine tape on
      your progress so far on ancient navigation. As I see from posts the
      past day or two to the Great Pyramid of Giza Research Association
      Message Board, Dr. John the director, Steve, the host and others are
      showing interest in some of the work discussed collectively here at
      the THOR site.

      I thoroughly enjoy each of your letters to this site. Best regards to
      all and thank you for including me in your ongoing efforts. Keep me
      posted on other activities of related assiations around the country
      and I shall try to attend, help where needed.

      M. Susan English
    • Rick Osmon
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 17, 2007
        Suz

        Did you go to Blue Springs Caverns? Marengo Caves? Both those have
        underground waterways and "blind" fish. And both are close to Pat's place.

        Glad you enjoyed your trip.

        The one question you forgot to ask around Olney was if anybody
        remembered Jack Ward...

        Oz

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Susan"