Ancient Waterways Society name/idea

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2007
      As Stan and members here at this site have heard before, I'd met Stan
      at dinner years ago just prior to an Ancient Earthworks Society
      speaker meeting. Soon after that, Stan was kind enough to set up
      this beautiful web group. I had been using the term "Ancient
      Waterways Society" for over a decade when traveling about the Lake
      Superior region or diving in the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico or
      Florida Keys, etc, making small, voluntary PR interconnections
      between people and resources. The name came from the work of several
      reseachers (Rydholm, Hoffman), especially Dr. James Scherz in lieu of
      a talk and accompanying paper he wrote at a Peoples Festval in
      Baraga, Michigan: "Old Water Levels & Waterways During the Ancient
      Copper Mining Era (about 3000 BC to 1000 BC)". With his permission
      last year, I copied part of the report into a post at this site. For
      those new to this site, it may be accessed via a search or AWS post
      #82. As an aside here, you may access the posts of any members or
      specific subjects at this site by inserting a name or word into the
      Search bar on our Home Page.

      And the 'philosophy' behind a global, Ancient Waterways Scoiety, I
      hope you all spread that message from your hearts, minds, and
      campfire chats as each of you feels fitting....

      I talk alot about the "UP" and ancient copper culture(s). A startling
      discovery came to mind fifteen or twenty years ago that probably the
      most isolated wilderness areas of the US (Lake Superior regions of
      Michigan, Wisconsin, Minn, and Canada) was of vital significance in
      another paradigm shift---from Stone Age into the Copper and Bronze
      Ages. And the area was a center of a vast intercontinental trade
      network spanning a few thousand to possibly countless thousands of
      years ago. I have been hooked ever since...seems almost like a
      calling that I can't get away from. And the network still seems to
      tie to people and places all over the continent via ancient
      waterways, many now urbanized and unrecognizeable. Hence so important
      each of us around the country and world document, photograph old dry
      ravines and even present-day waterways which could be altered by
      human hands beyond recognition.

      I also frequently mention Jim Scherz here; he has for decades
      volunteered most of the hours in his life as a surveyor and intended
      preserver of ancient sites. He hasn't computer access and I sit him
      down to many letters at this site, in particular. Jim said he is
      looking forward to meeting many of you at the Ohio conference who
      have been sharing your work and insights here at this site.

      Susan
      personal web page (please feel free to design your own):
      http://hometown.aol.com/suzenglish/myhomepage/profile.html