Re: Return from Keweenaw Point

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 19, 2007
      Herb, All,

      If anyone is curious about the Ojibwa (Chippewa) Puk Wudjinees (or
      Little People) Herb mentioned, I'll take you geographically southward
      from Keweenaw County to within a dozen miles of the W. Upper Michigan-
      Wisconsin border to a Lake Superior shorelines, campground, and old
      Indian burial ground. "Little Girl's Point" is just north of
      Ironwood, where I spent part of my last high school years; my brother
      Jack was married on that beach. From one web site: 'It feels like
      going off to the edge of the world and back in time; the high Lake
      Superior bluff and point offers long views off to the blue
      silhouettes of the Porcupine Mountains on the northeast and the
      Apostle Islands on the southwest'. West of Little Girl's Point is
      Saxon Harbor (Wisconsin) and the largely wilderness region westward
      to Duluth-Superior is the subject of many of Herb's photo collections
      and web links. (Multiple posts, too, were made earlier this year at
      the Ancient Waterways site to lands south of these areas by Steve
      Hilgren who now has his own Yahoo web group, Ancient Vikings of
      America, already with 44 members.)

      The following web site gives a good description of Little Girl's
      Point. Make particular note to the last paragraphs withing the
      article/legend of an early 1900's prospector. See: "Legendary Little
      Girls Point": http://mattsonworks.com/Little_Girls_Point.html

      ..."Triplett's activities created or contributed to the legend that
      centuries ago the Incas of Peru or the Mayas of Mexico, harrassed by
      the Spanish invaders, brought a large cargo of treasure up the
      Mississippi River all the way to Lake Superior. This treasure is
      supposed to be buried in the vicinity of Little Girls's Point..." If
      any of you ever visit the area at some distant future Copper Country
      field trip and tour, I suggest bringing a shovel.

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "herbswoods"