Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Re: Return from Keweenaw Point

  • Susan English
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 18, 2007
      Thanks, Herb.

      Jim Scherz was heading to SW Wisconsin to a log house
      near Devil's Lake this evening and I read your post to
      him via cell phone. He is looking forward to hearing
      more about the work you and your friends are doing.
      Should you be interested in meeting up there at a
      future time, he'd welcome your showing him some of
      your sites and he could perhaps could do some survey
      work. (It could also be part of an intriguing field
      trip for out of state people wishing to tour the
      Copper Country for the first time.)

      I had to leave Allouez a day early (last Saturday) but
      had been camping alone next to the tepee since Tuesday
      until festival vendors started coming in on Thursday
      and Friday. I was set up on the hill next to the
      teepee. If you are only up in Keweenaw annually, next
      year the festival will on location there the same long
      weekend in August.

      Re: the significance of the rock shop you mentioned
      from atop Albion Rock. On the hill above the shop,
      through the woods and well above the teepee, is what
      many up there call a 'vortex'. Unfortunately it has
      been drastically altered by well-intended, poorly
      informed people. Nevertheless, indicative of a vortex
      or some kind of energy grid, ley lines? rocky bluff
      areas are clumps of evergreen (juniper?)
      trees...varyingly gnarled, twisted, barnacled in
      various areas around a several hundred square foot
      area of high ground. It is probably even more visible
      from Albion Rock, and presumably a sacred site to
      ancient peoples. The trees follows an exact
      description of so-called vortexes in Sedona, AZ, from
      a hand-out I received years ago.

      Several years ago I had an unusual, sort of 'between
      the worlds' experience when I accidently happened upon
      a large rock pile burial when I awakened and went for
      a walk just before sunset. The experience led me to
      believe the site is obviously being watched by
      descendents of one of the many 'layers' of ancestral
      burials; there are indications too of ancient and
      historic mining settlement, possibly too the very
      early copper culture of several millinnea ago. So much
      mystery surrounds the area up there and I am cautious
      of my actions when wandering about alone up there. I
      shall save the other story for a time around a future
      fireside or table with one or more of you Ancient
      Waterways Society members. But it is creepy to camp
      alone near most of the remote burial and mining sites
      up there, and there is hardly a place up there that
      isn't one of the two.

      Wild animals are abundant along Lake Superior. When a
      raccoon or small animal bumped against my tent during
      an exhausted first night's sleep there, a filet knife
      I sleep with on my belt nearly performed an
      appendectomy on me. Then I had to spend the rest of
      the night cramped into my Ford Tempo because the blood
      might have drawn something larger.

      Herb, you are new to this group and perhaps unfamiliar
      with the organizations sponsoring the October
      conference in Ohio, but I hope you too will consider
      attending. Otherwise, do so for sure when your future
      book is published.

      For anyone interested in the conference, and I hope
      Stan and the rest of you don't mind a direct plug, but
      the main web page and list of upcoming speakers is:

      http://www.aaapf.org/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=37

      While online here, would like to make a helpful
      comment to new members:

      l. If writing posts to Yahoo groups such as ours, it
      is important to minimize the screen if you need to
      back up or get into other links. Otherwise, everything
      you have written will vanish. Most here have had this
      happen several times and creating a second draft is
      never quite the same.

      s. To be safe when writing a lengthy post, I
      periodically copy and paste the post into an email to
      myself to retrieve later if, for whatever reason, what
      I have inscribed gets lost.

      Thanks again for the wonderful update, Herb.

      Susan

      === message truncated ===

      M. Susan English
      ANCIENT WATERWAYS SOCIETY
      BeldingEnglish@...

    • herbswoods
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 19, 2007
        Susan,

        I won't be able to attend the Ohio conference but I scanned the titles
        of topics covered and their authors and am impressed. The book that I
        envision could tie together several of those topics (plus more) in a
        single unified whole.

        As I peruse the material I brought back from the U.P., I found a
        reference to an old article and vital source (re: ancient copper &
        Knights Templar connection?) that I hope to track down in Duluth later
        this week.

        I did not know about that "vortex" spot above the rock shop in
        Allouez. Can you see (or could you see if the trees were removed)
        Albion Rock (the Cliff/Greenstone Ridge) from that location????

        I know for a FACT that it is visible in cross-end profile right about
        where the road sign for "Allouez" is and in another brief spot along
        Hwy-41 and then it drops below view on the landscape. They may link up
        in a direct sight-line, that is, a signal fire lit atop Albion Rock
        may be visible form that vortex spot and vice versa.

        I plan to add Albion Rock to my website with exact locations and
        definitions plus photos. Trouble is, I have so much else to do it
        takes time to get around to doing those things.

        Finally, I too had a small "animal" bump up against me in my tent 2-3
        times in the night near Copper Harbour. However, we both may have been
        subject to the "little people" of the Ojibwe, the so-called
        "Pukwudjies." That might be something to look into. Like you say, it
        is a myth and spirit haunted landscape up there and I certainly
        returned home with more "spirit power" and more knowledge than I
        previously had. I purposely seek out those haunted locations you
        mention and draw energy from them, because having survived the world
        of dangerous motorcycles this long, I don't dread land-dwelling
        copper-loving deities that inhabit so beautiful a landscape as the
        Keweenaw. Mischievous, perhaps, but I don't think they will harm you.
        Deities of the lake, however, like the dreaded Mishigenahbeg, are a
        different story.

        PS: Albion Rock is full of that gnarled juniper that you mentioned.
        Does that figure into the vortex energy of a place?

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Susan English

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 19, 2007
          Herb, All,

          If anyone is curious about the Ojibwa (Chippewa) Puk Wudjinees (or
          Little People) Herb mentioned, I'll take you geographically southward
          from Keweenaw County to within a dozen miles of the W. Upper Michigan-
          Wisconsin border to a Lake Superior shorelines, campground, and old
          Indian burial ground. "Little Girl's Point" is just north of
          Ironwood, where I spent part of my last high school years; my brother
          Jack was married on that beach. From one web site: 'It feels like
          going off to the edge of the world and back in time; the high Lake
          Superior bluff and point offers long views off to the blue
          silhouettes of the Porcupine Mountains on the northeast and the
          Apostle Islands on the southwest'. West of Little Girl's Point is
          Saxon Harbor (Wisconsin) and the largely wilderness region westward
          to Duluth-Superior is the subject of many of Herb's photo collections
          and web links. (Multiple posts, too, were made earlier this year at
          the Ancient Waterways site to lands south of these areas by Steve
          Hilgren who now has his own Yahoo web group, Ancient Vikings of
          America, already with 44 members.)

          The following web site gives a good description of Little Girl's
          Point. Make particular note to the last paragraphs withing the
          article/legend of an early 1900's prospector. See: "Legendary Little
          Girls Point": http://mattsonworks.com/Little_Girls_Point.html

          ..."Triplett's activities created or contributed to the legend that
          centuries ago the Incas of Peru or the Mayas of Mexico, harrassed by
          the Spanish invaders, brought a large cargo of treasure up the
          Mississippi River all the way to Lake Superior. This treasure is
          supposed to be buried in the vicinity of Little Girls's Point..." If
          any of you ever visit the area at some distant future Copper Country
          field trip and tour, I suggest bringing a shovel.

          Susan

          --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "herbswoods"