Marion Dahm's research/mooring stone documentation

  • Susan English
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2006
      Stan & Ancient Waterways Society members:

      I am just in the door from trips to Upper Michigan and
      Madison...checking computer correspondence even before unpacking the
      car.

      Stan, this does seem to be a good site for inserting links related to
      ancient global waterways such as the Scottish boats site you sent
      earlier in the week. I am running a print of it to read at work.

      Earlier in the month is Pam Giese's fine eulogy in a post to this site
      of ancient Viking expert/Kensington Runestone researcher, Marion Dahm.
      She too had the privilege of getting to know Marion through various
      conferences and camp site discussions.

      Marion will probably be most noted for his careful documentation of
      thousands of "mooring stones" most of which he personally followed up
      on at present or former ancient waterway sites throughout the Midwest,
      Canada, and East Coast. Marion never wrote a book nor do I believe
      authored independent articles,though many have been written about his
      research. Undoubtedly, Marion's research friends and associates from
      the Kensington Runestone museum, and family members will begin
      gathering what I presume to be countless boxes of research. A letter
      from his daughter Janna last week, they are still dealing with funeral
      matters and the suddenness of his death.

      In the meantime, I started going tbrough ten years' worth of
      correspondence from him. This includes numerous articles, maps,
      photos/infrared aerial photography showing various ancient water levels
      for an area around the Western Minnesota/Dakotas/Continental Divide
      region where he and fellow researchers documented hundreds of 'Viking'
      mooring stone holes. These vast old lake or riverway mooring stone
      sites I believe are at two different elevations, indicating a variance
      in water levels and time periods---now farmland or plain. If I am
      correct, and according to one of Marion's photos to me, some of these
      large waterway areas now dry were as recent at 1000 years ago!

      I was more a transporter with Marion than researcher, but if anyone is
      interested in details of the work he was doing in league with others, I
      shall ask Californian Steve Hilgren--who has worked closely with Marion
      for a number of years--to reply through this web site. Such discussion
      would by no means not be off-topic on a global, "ancient waterways' web
      link. I know Steve has a lot to say on the subject that he could not
      get into much detail on other sites.

      Susan
      suzenglish@...