Re: Return from Keweenaw Point

  • herbswoods
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 18, 2007
      Susan,

      I won't be in the Keweenaw next week. This recent trip there was my
      U.P. adventure for the year and my first visit there in several years.
      One thing I noticed was fewer places to explore/camp that were fenced
      off or posted. That's sad.

      By coincidence we stopped at that rock shop you were at along Hwy-41
      in/near Allouez and took a fast look around. We walked through the
      vendors' tables and I peeked inside the teepee but we didn't linger or
      strike up any conversations.

      Maybe you were there at the time.

      As I may have mentioned in the past, I have a copy of one of James
      Scherz's unpublished reports on ancient copper. I find it to be an
      inspiration in this research. Please tell him that I know and admire
      his work.

      When you go back up the Keweenaw bear in mind that stretch of Hwy-41
      near Allouez where the Cliffs come into view dead ahead of you on the
      road. You get a brief head-on view in one or two spots of the extreme
      western end of the Greenstone Ridge in profile, a sight that the first
      white miners knew as "Albion Rock." At that locale you are looking
      at/through an in-line/linear focal point of all the native copper
      mines on the northern end of Keweenaw Point, including the fabulous
      Cliff Mine, Central, Phoenix, etc. Whether the rock shop is located
      where it is by accident or design I cannot say, but if one believes in
      copper "manitous" one is viewing their fabulous domain from or near
      that point and you might even call it a power spot. At least I would.

      HW

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Susan"
      <beldingenglish@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > >
      > > In spite of tire trouble (TWICE and which is a story in itself) we
      > > accomplished much. Here is a brief summary.
      > >
      > > We located and photographed the supposed Phoenician sacrificial
      > altar
      > > stone and associated ancient diggings near Rockland. A retired judge
      > > told me the spot years ago and he also told me his theory about the
      > > ancient miners.
      > >
      > > Then we proceeded north to explore for the lost location of Albion
      > > Rock at the western end of the "Cliffs" (Greenstone Ridge). As it
      > > turns out, Albion Rock is strikingly visible and juts out of the
      > > landscape in a dramatic fashion as seen from Hwy-41 (old Military
      > > Road) as you enter Allouez village from the south and must have
      > served
      > > as a landmark to the early miners and how it received its name.
      > >
      > > It took me 2 days of climbing and exploring, but I believe that I
      > > found the exact spot described in an 1846 account where you obtain
      > the
      > > only complete view and best vantage point. I shot many photos and
      > > blazed a tree on the site. We also explored the old North American
      > > mine location in North American Gap and found artifacts dating
      > between
      > > 1846 and the 1860s.
      > >
      > > We then moved up Keweenaw Point and explored the coast east of
      > Copper
      > > Harbor to find Petit Marais. Unfortunately this unique rockbound
      > > harbor of the early voyageurs has been altered and largely destroyed
      > > by lake erosion. Still, the coastline there on the wave-washed Great
      > > Conglomerate, 1 billion year old fossil stromatolites, and the
      > > wonderful remote beaches are well worth the hike in to visit them.
      > >
      > > Coming back, we stopped at the Copper Country Archives at MTU and
      > also
      > > at the Isle Royale Park Hq. in Houghton. Picked up a few photocopies
      > > of old documents but nothing earthshaking was found.
      > >
      > > Then, my companion, tired of old mining sites and rough camps
      > wanted a
      > > perfect campsite. So I said, "Okay, but first we'll will have to go
      > > thru Gay." Which we did and ended up on the lee inside coast of
      > > Keweenaw Point on the Jacobville sandstone. There we make an
      > > "accidental" but exciting discovery of a 6 sided (pointed?)
      > assemblage
      > > of rocks on the lakeshore at a place we dubbed "Phoenician Bay" due
      > > a dream that I had that night.
      > >
      > > We did a lot of thinking and brainstorming and although much of it
      > is
      > > speculative if not outright fantastical it does hang together in a
      > > logical blend of intriguing legend, answers to long-held mysteries,
      > > known history, and scientific fact. More work and research needs to
      > be
      > > done but there is an great story here that links legends, Indian
      > myth,
      > > monster copper masses, and secret knowledge held by the Masons.

    • Susan English
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 18, 2007
        Thanks, Herb.

        Jim Scherz was heading to SW Wisconsin to a log house
        near Devil's Lake this evening and I read your post to
        him via cell phone. He is looking forward to hearing
        more about the work you and your friends are doing.
        Should you be interested in meeting up there at a
        future time, he'd welcome your showing him some of
        your sites and he could perhaps could do some survey
        work. (It could also be part of an intriguing field
        trip for out of state people wishing to tour the
        Copper Country for the first time.)

        I had to leave Allouez a day early (last Saturday) but
        had been camping alone next to the tepee since Tuesday
        until festival vendors started coming in on Thursday
        and Friday. I was set up on the hill next to the
        teepee. If you are only up in Keweenaw annually, next
        year the festival will on location there the same long
        weekend in August.

        Re: the significance of the rock shop you mentioned
        from atop Albion Rock. On the hill above the shop,
        through the woods and well above the teepee, is what
        many up there call a 'vortex'. Unfortunately it has
        been drastically altered by well-intended, poorly
        informed people. Nevertheless, indicative of a vortex
        or some kind of energy grid, ley lines? rocky bluff
        areas are clumps of evergreen (juniper?)
        trees...varyingly gnarled, twisted, barnacled in
        various areas around a several hundred square foot
        area of high ground. It is probably even more visible
        from Albion Rock, and presumably a sacred site to
        ancient peoples. The trees follows an exact
        description of so-called vortexes in Sedona, AZ, from
        a hand-out I received years ago.

        Several years ago I had an unusual, sort of 'between
        the worlds' experience when I accidently happened upon
        a large rock pile burial when I awakened and went for
        a walk just before sunset. The experience led me to
        believe the site is obviously being watched by
        descendents of one of the many 'layers' of ancestral
        burials; there are indications too of ancient and
        historic mining settlement, possibly too the very
        early copper culture of several millinnea ago. So much
        mystery surrounds the area up there and I am cautious
        of my actions when wandering about alone up there. I
        shall save the other story for a time around a future
        fireside or table with one or more of you Ancient
        Waterways Society members. But it is creepy to camp
        alone near most of the remote burial and mining sites
        up there, and there is hardly a place up there that
        isn't one of the two.

        Wild animals are abundant along Lake Superior. When a
        raccoon or small animal bumped against my tent during
        an exhausted first night's sleep there, a filet knife
        I sleep with on my belt nearly performed an
        appendectomy on me. Then I had to spend the rest of
        the night cramped into my Ford Tempo because the blood
        might have drawn something larger.

        Herb, you are new to this group and perhaps unfamiliar
        with the organizations sponsoring the October
        conference in Ohio, but I hope you too will consider
        attending. Otherwise, do so for sure when your future
        book is published.

        For anyone interested in the conference, and I hope
        Stan and the rest of you don't mind a direct plug, but
        the main web page and list of upcoming speakers is:

        http://www.aaapf.org/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=37

        While online here, would like to make a helpful
        comment to new members:

        l. If writing posts to Yahoo groups such as ours, it
        is important to minimize the screen if you need to
        back up or get into other links. Otherwise, everything
        you have written will vanish. Most here have had this
        happen several times and creating a second draft is
        never quite the same.

        s. To be safe when writing a lengthy post, I
        periodically copy and paste the post into an email to
        myself to retrieve later if, for whatever reason, what
        I have inscribed gets lost.

        Thanks again for the wonderful update, Herb.

        Susan

        === message truncated ===

        M. Susan English
        ANCIENT WATERWAYS SOCIETY
        BeldingEnglish@...

      • herbswoods
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 19, 2007
          Susan,

          I won't be able to attend the Ohio conference but I scanned the titles
          of topics covered and their authors and am impressed. The book that I
          envision could tie together several of those topics (plus more) in a
          single unified whole.

          As I peruse the material I brought back from the U.P., I found a
          reference to an old article and vital source (re: ancient copper &
          Knights Templar connection?) that I hope to track down in Duluth later
          this week.

          I did not know about that "vortex" spot above the rock shop in
          Allouez. Can you see (or could you see if the trees were removed)
          Albion Rock (the Cliff/Greenstone Ridge) from that location????

          I know for a FACT that it is visible in cross-end profile right about
          where the road sign for "Allouez" is and in another brief spot along
          Hwy-41 and then it drops below view on the landscape. They may link up
          in a direct sight-line, that is, a signal fire lit atop Albion Rock
          may be visible form that vortex spot and vice versa.

          I plan to add Albion Rock to my website with exact locations and
          definitions plus photos. Trouble is, I have so much else to do it
          takes time to get around to doing those things.

          Finally, I too had a small "animal" bump up against me in my tent 2-3
          times in the night near Copper Harbour. However, we both may have been
          subject to the "little people" of the Ojibwe, the so-called
          "Pukwudjies." That might be something to look into. Like you say, it
          is a myth and spirit haunted landscape up there and I certainly
          returned home with more "spirit power" and more knowledge than I
          previously had. I purposely seek out those haunted locations you
          mention and draw energy from them, because having survived the world
          of dangerous motorcycles this long, I don't dread land-dwelling
          copper-loving deities that inhabit so beautiful a landscape as the
          Keweenaw. Mischievous, perhaps, but I don't think they will harm you.
          Deities of the lake, however, like the dreaded Mishigenahbeg, are a
          different story.

          PS: Albion Rock is full of that gnarled juniper that you mentioned.
          Does that figure into the vortex energy of a place?

          --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Susan English

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 19, 2007
            Herb, All,

            If anyone is curious about the Ojibwa (Chippewa) Puk Wudjinees (or
            Little People) Herb mentioned, I'll take you geographically southward
            from Keweenaw County to within a dozen miles of the W. Upper Michigan-
            Wisconsin border to a Lake Superior shorelines, campground, and old
            Indian burial ground. "Little Girl's Point" is just north of
            Ironwood, where I spent part of my last high school years; my brother
            Jack was married on that beach. From one web site: 'It feels like
            going off to the edge of the world and back in time; the high Lake
            Superior bluff and point offers long views off to the blue
            silhouettes of the Porcupine Mountains on the northeast and the
            Apostle Islands on the southwest'. West of Little Girl's Point is
            Saxon Harbor (Wisconsin) and the largely wilderness region westward
            to Duluth-Superior is the subject of many of Herb's photo collections
            and web links. (Multiple posts, too, were made earlier this year at
            the Ancient Waterways site to lands south of these areas by Steve
            Hilgren who now has his own Yahoo web group, Ancient Vikings of
            America, already with 44 members.)

            The following web site gives a good description of Little Girl's
            Point. Make particular note to the last paragraphs withing the
            article/legend of an early 1900's prospector. See: "Legendary Little
            Girls Point": http://mattsonworks.com/Little_Girls_Point.html

            ..."Triplett's activities created or contributed to the legend that
            centuries ago the Incas of Peru or the Mayas of Mexico, harrassed by
            the Spanish invaders, brought a large cargo of treasure up the
            Mississippi River all the way to Lake Superior. This treasure is
            supposed to be buried in the vicinity of Little Girls's Point..." If
            any of you ever visit the area at some distant future Copper Country
            field trip and tour, I suggest bringing a shovel.

            Susan

            --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "herbswoods"