Return from Keweenaw Point

  • herbswoods
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 17, 2007
      Re: Trip to Keweenaw Point on Lake Superior

      Members:

      Returned yesterday from a 7 day trip to Keweenaw Point. Wonderful
      eventful voyage of discovery that blended history, legend and
      scientific fact together in an amazingly complete manner. There is
      definitely an article and maybe a book in this research. Back in the
      1980s I did a lot of study about the copper mines and then dropped it
      for a long time. Now it has re-awakened in me and it's great to be back.

      In spite of tire trouble (TWICE and which is a story in itself) we
      accomplished much. Here is a brief summary.

      We located and photographed the supposed Phoenician sacrificial altar
      stone and associated ancient diggings near Rockland. A retired judge
      told me the spot years ago and he also told me his theory about the
      ancient miners.

      Then we proceeded north to explore for the lost location of Albion
      Rock at the western end of the "Cliffs" (Greenstone Ridge). As it
      turns out, Albion Rock is strikingly visible and juts out of the
      landscape in a dramatic fashion as seen from Hwy-41 (old Military
      Road) as you enter Allouez village from the south and must have served
      as a landmark to the early miners and how it received its name.

      It took me 2 days of climbing and exploring, but I believe that I
      found the exact spot described in an 1846 account where you obtain the
      only complete view and best vantage point. I shot many photos and
      blazed a tree on the site. We also explored the old North American
      mine location in North American Gap and found artifacts dating between
      1846 and the 1860s.

      We then moved up Keweenaw Point and explored the coast east of Copper
      Harbor to find Petit Marais. Unfortunately this unique rockbound
      harbor of the early voyageurs has been altered and largely destroyed
      by lake erosion. Still, the coastline there on the wave-washed Great
      Conglomerate, 1 billion year old fossil stromatolites, and the
      wonderful remote beaches are well worth the hike in to visit them.

      Coming back, we stopped at the Copper Country Archives at MTU and also
      at the Isle Royale Park Hq. in Houghton. Picked up a few photocopies
      of old documents but nothing earthshaking was found.

      Then, my companion, tired of old mining sites and rough camps wanted a
      perfect campsite. So I said, "Okay, but first we'll will have to go
      thru Gay." Which we did and ended up on the lee inside coast of
      Keweenaw Point on the Jacobville sandstone. There we make an
      "accidental" but exciting discovery of a 6 sided (pointed?) assemblage
      of rocks on the lakeshore at a place we dubbed "Phoenician Bay" due to
      a dream that I had that night.

      We did a lot of thinking and brainstorming and although much of it is
      speculative if not outright fantastical it does hang together in a
      logical blend of intriguing legend, answers to long-held mysteries,
      known history, and scientific fact. More work and research needs to be
      done but there is an great story here that links legends, Indian myth,
      monster copper masses, and secret knowledge held by the Masons.

      This baby has it all!
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 17, 2007
        Herb, All,

        Terrific report about your seven day trip through Keweenaw. I
        appreciate your sharing your explorations with all at this site and
        will look forward to your article. I've no doubt whatever from
        obsrving the reverence you have for old waterways and wilderness
        lands, your continuing perseverance into the ancient copper culture
        will result in an exceptional book.

        Most of last week I was camping and vending at a Peoples Festival at
        a rock shop on Hwy 41 in Allouez, MI, drew many gallons of water from
        an artesian spring only a few miles from where you were working near
        Cliff Drive. I don't usually do independent research, am not well-
        read on many subjects, yet I try to stay alert for opportunities to
        set up amicable, synergic associations which introduce/or link
        individuals and pertinent resources together.

        I work sometimes with Jim Scherz who courts my friend Laurie a few
        miles from me in Central Wisconsin. Jim hasn't an operational
        computer and doesn't access the Internet. He does phone me and
        sometimes asks for updates on this group which he knows was named
        partly after his work. He continues to feel this web site would be a
        great place for members to post papers. I have read several posts to
        him the past month because of the upcoing Ohio conference so he can
        familiarize himself with the activities of several here who will be
        attending. Many at this site discuss matters close to his heart.
        Scherz has never attended an AAAPF conference despite the fact he was
        the major player in founding and drawing up bylaws for the AAAPF
        group (I was there). It has taken years to get him to a conference,
        and he will be a speaker with HoChunk Nation friend, Richie Brown.

        Those who cannot attend the conference needn't feel left out here.
        Other opportunities to gather will come up in various parts of the
        country--please keep us informed of related events. But there is also
        unbounded synergy that comes from non-competitive associations of
        people as we have here. As each encourages the work of others, brings
        data and ideas together through your posts, all may be enhanced by
        the collective wisdom withing the group.

        This next week will fine me back in the Peninsula for dental surgery
        (Tuesday). Early Wednesday morning, rain or shine, I will meet
        retired UW engineering prof. Jim Scherz in Ironwood and ride with him
        to Keweenaw County. We plan to be at Prospectors Paradise in Allouez
        about noon (Central time) Wednesday.

        Herb, after I read your post to him, Scherz asked me to see if you
        would be in the Keweenaw Peninsula next Wednesday noon and would like
        to join us. We are also going to try to hook up with Ancient Wateways
        member Norm Thomas at a summer home he is just completing on Lake
        Superior a few miles from Allouez. He also has a GPS and possible
        historic or ancient site we need to look at (possibly survey) before
        new landovers close the site off to the public.

        Norm has volunteered his new place for an informal Ancient Waterways
        Society/AAAPF day meeting next spring or summer. Anyone at this small
        AWS group is welcome to come up and join us then too. A L'Anse, MI
        physician and his wife also offered their lighthouse summer home on a
        point north of L'Anse, MI for a day meeting and we could work that
        into the same weekend if anyone is interested.

        As offered to this group before, my small Central Wisconsin home off
        interstate 39/51 can be a stopover option weekday nights for any of
        you traveing from areas south to Upper Michigan.

        Email me off-line if interested in meeting us next Wednesday or
        Thursday in Keweenaw: suzenglish@...

        M. Susan English

        Ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "herbswoods"
        <herbswoods@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > thru Gay." Which we did and ended up on the lee inside coast of
        > Keweenaw Point on the Jacobville sandstone. There we make an
        > "accidental" but exciting discovery of a 6 sided (pointed?)
        assemblage
        > of rocks on the lakeshore at a place we dubbed "Phoenician Bay" due
        > a dream that I had that night.
        >
        > We did a lot of thinking and brainstorming and although much of it
        is
        > speculative if not outright fantastical it does hang together in a
        > logical blend of intriguing legend, answers to long-held mysteries,
        > known history, and scientific fact. More work and research needs to
        be
        > done but there is an great story here that links legends, Indian
        myth,
        > monster copper masses, and secret knowledge held by the Masons.

      • herbswoods
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 18, 2007
          Susan,

          I won't be in the Keweenaw next week. This recent trip there was my
          U.P. adventure for the year and my first visit there in several years.
          One thing I noticed was fewer places to explore/camp that were fenced
          off or posted. That's sad.

          By coincidence we stopped at that rock shop you were at along Hwy-41
          in/near Allouez and took a fast look around. We walked through the
          vendors' tables and I peeked inside the teepee but we didn't linger or
          strike up any conversations.

          Maybe you were there at the time.

          As I may have mentioned in the past, I have a copy of one of James
          Scherz's unpublished reports on ancient copper. I find it to be an
          inspiration in this research. Please tell him that I know and admire
          his work.

          When you go back up the Keweenaw bear in mind that stretch of Hwy-41
          near Allouez where the Cliffs come into view dead ahead of you on the
          road. You get a brief head-on view in one or two spots of the extreme
          western end of the Greenstone Ridge in profile, a sight that the first
          white miners knew as "Albion Rock." At that locale you are looking
          at/through an in-line/linear focal point of all the native copper
          mines on the northern end of Keweenaw Point, including the fabulous
          Cliff Mine, Central, Phoenix, etc. Whether the rock shop is located
          where it is by accident or design I cannot say, but if one believes in
          copper "manitous" one is viewing their fabulous domain from or near
          that point and you might even call it a power spot. At least I would.

          HW

          --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Susan"
          <beldingenglish@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > thru Gay." Which we did and ended up on the lee inside coast of
          > > Keweenaw Point on the Jacobville sandstone. There we make an
          > > "accidental" but exciting discovery of a 6 sided (pointed?)
          > assemblage
          > > of rocks on the lakeshore at a place we dubbed "Phoenician Bay" due
          > > a dream that I had that night.
          > >
          > > We did a lot of thinking and brainstorming and although much of it
          > is
          > > speculative if not outright fantastical it does hang together in a
          > > logical blend of intriguing legend, answers to long-held mysteries,
          > > known history, and scientific fact. More work and research needs to
          > be
          > > done but there is an great story here that links legends, Indian
          > myth,
          > > monster copper masses, and secret knowledge held by the Masons.

        • Susan English
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 18, 2007
            Thanks, Herb.

            Jim Scherz was heading to SW Wisconsin to a log house
            near Devil's Lake this evening and I read your post to
            him via cell phone. He is looking forward to hearing
            more about the work you and your friends are doing.
            Should you be interested in meeting up there at a
            future time, he'd welcome your showing him some of
            your sites and he could perhaps could do some survey
            work. (It could also be part of an intriguing field
            trip for out of state people wishing to tour the
            Copper Country for the first time.)

            I had to leave Allouez a day early (last Saturday) but
            had been camping alone next to the tepee since Tuesday
            until festival vendors started coming in on Thursday
            and Friday. I was set up on the hill next to the
            teepee. If you are only up in Keweenaw annually, next
            year the festival will on location there the same long
            weekend in August.

            Re: the significance of the rock shop you mentioned
            from atop Albion Rock. On the hill above the shop,
            through the woods and well above the teepee, is what
            many up there call a 'vortex'. Unfortunately it has
            been drastically altered by well-intended, poorly
            informed people. Nevertheless, indicative of a vortex
            or some kind of energy grid, ley lines? rocky bluff
            areas are clumps of evergreen (juniper?)
            trees...varyingly gnarled, twisted, barnacled in
            various areas around a several hundred square foot
            area of high ground. It is probably even more visible
            from Albion Rock, and presumably a sacred site to
            ancient peoples. The trees follows an exact
            description of so-called vortexes in Sedona, AZ, from
            a hand-out I received years ago.

            Several years ago I had an unusual, sort of 'between
            the worlds' experience when I accidently happened upon
            a large rock pile burial when I awakened and went for
            a walk just before sunset. The experience led me to
            believe the site is obviously being watched by
            descendents of one of the many 'layers' of ancestral
            burials; there are indications too of ancient and
            historic mining settlement, possibly too the very
            early copper culture of several millinnea ago. So much
            mystery surrounds the area up there and I am cautious
            of my actions when wandering about alone up there. I
            shall save the other story for a time around a future
            fireside or table with one or more of you Ancient
            Waterways Society members. But it is creepy to camp
            alone near most of the remote burial and mining sites
            up there, and there is hardly a place up there that
            isn't one of the two.

            Wild animals are abundant along Lake Superior. When a
            raccoon or small animal bumped against my tent during
            an exhausted first night's sleep there, a filet knife
            I sleep with on my belt nearly performed an
            appendectomy on me. Then I had to spend the rest of
            the night cramped into my Ford Tempo because the blood
            might have drawn something larger.

            Herb, you are new to this group and perhaps unfamiliar
            with the organizations sponsoring the October
            conference in Ohio, but I hope you too will consider
            attending. Otherwise, do so for sure when your future
            book is published.

            For anyone interested in the conference, and I hope
            Stan and the rest of you don't mind a direct plug, but
            the main web page and list of upcoming speakers is:

            http://www.aaapf.org/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=37

            While online here, would like to make a helpful
            comment to new members:

            l. If writing posts to Yahoo groups such as ours, it
            is important to minimize the screen if you need to
            back up or get into other links. Otherwise, everything
            you have written will vanish. Most here have had this
            happen several times and creating a second draft is
            never quite the same.

            s. To be safe when writing a lengthy post, I
            periodically copy and paste the post into an email to
            myself to retrieve later if, for whatever reason, what
            I have inscribed gets lost.

            Thanks again for the wonderful update, Herb.

            Susan

            === message truncated ===

            M. Susan English
            ANCIENT WATERWAYS SOCIETY
            BeldingEnglish@...

          • herbswoods
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 19, 2007
              Susan,

              I won't be able to attend the Ohio conference but I scanned the titles
              of topics covered and their authors and am impressed. The book that I
              envision could tie together several of those topics (plus more) in a
              single unified whole.

              As I peruse the material I brought back from the U.P., I found a
              reference to an old article and vital source (re: ancient copper &
              Knights Templar connection?) that I hope to track down in Duluth later
              this week.

              I did not know about that "vortex" spot above the rock shop in
              Allouez. Can you see (or could you see if the trees were removed)
              Albion Rock (the Cliff/Greenstone Ridge) from that location????

              I know for a FACT that it is visible in cross-end profile right about
              where the road sign for "Allouez" is and in another brief spot along
              Hwy-41 and then it drops below view on the landscape. They may link up
              in a direct sight-line, that is, a signal fire lit atop Albion Rock
              may be visible form that vortex spot and vice versa.

              I plan to add Albion Rock to my website with exact locations and
              definitions plus photos. Trouble is, I have so much else to do it
              takes time to get around to doing those things.

              Finally, I too had a small "animal" bump up against me in my tent 2-3
              times in the night near Copper Harbour. However, we both may have been
              subject to the "little people" of the Ojibwe, the so-called
              "Pukwudjies." That might be something to look into. Like you say, it
              is a myth and spirit haunted landscape up there and I certainly
              returned home with more "spirit power" and more knowledge than I
              previously had. I purposely seek out those haunted locations you
              mention and draw energy from them, because having survived the world
              of dangerous motorcycles this long, I don't dread land-dwelling
              copper-loving deities that inhabit so beautiful a landscape as the
              Keweenaw. Mischievous, perhaps, but I don't think they will harm you.
              Deities of the lake, however, like the dreaded Mishigenahbeg, are a
              different story.

              PS: Albion Rock is full of that gnarled juniper that you mentioned.
              Does that figure into the vortex energy of a place?

              --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Susan English

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 19, 2007
                Herb, All,

                If anyone is curious about the Ojibwa (Chippewa) Puk Wudjinees (or
                Little People) Herb mentioned, I'll take you geographically southward
                from Keweenaw County to within a dozen miles of the W. Upper Michigan-
                Wisconsin border to a Lake Superior shorelines, campground, and old
                Indian burial ground. "Little Girl's Point" is just north of
                Ironwood, where I spent part of my last high school years; my brother
                Jack was married on that beach. From one web site: 'It feels like
                going off to the edge of the world and back in time; the high Lake
                Superior bluff and point offers long views off to the blue
                silhouettes of the Porcupine Mountains on the northeast and the
                Apostle Islands on the southwest'. West of Little Girl's Point is
                Saxon Harbor (Wisconsin) and the largely wilderness region westward
                to Duluth-Superior is the subject of many of Herb's photo collections
                and web links. (Multiple posts, too, were made earlier this year at
                the Ancient Waterways site to lands south of these areas by Steve
                Hilgren who now has his own Yahoo web group, Ancient Vikings of
                America, already with 44 members.)

                The following web site gives a good description of Little Girl's
                Point. Make particular note to the last paragraphs withing the
                article/legend of an early 1900's prospector. See: "Legendary Little
                Girls Point": http://mattsonworks.com/Little_Girls_Point.html

                ..."Triplett's activities created or contributed to the legend that
                centuries ago the Incas of Peru or the Mayas of Mexico, harrassed by
                the Spanish invaders, brought a large cargo of treasure up the
                Mississippi River all the way to Lake Superior. This treasure is
                supposed to be buried in the vicinity of Little Girls's Point..." If
                any of you ever visit the area at some distant future Copper Country
                field trip and tour, I suggest bringing a shovel.

                Susan

                --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "herbswoods"