Underwater cities

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 25, 2013
      Yucatan has ancient cities just off the coast that have been revealed
      using Lidar satellite images. I did not know they could use this
      process from orbiting satellites. Any body know more about this?

      https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=391088031013190&set=a.208889809233014.44597.208845839237411&type=3&theater
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 26, 2013
        I believe you may have been confused by the website...
        There were multiple stories about finding various and different ancient sites, the articles sitting cheek by jowel on the webpage.
        One article was indeed lauding the LIDAR technology for uncovering, in 10 hours, more archaeological sites than in three decades of tramping.
        Over land, peering thru jungle growth, using regular aircraft in search-grid processes. Laser light tech.

        The prime article touting underwater discoveries of continued roadways beneath the waves, and photographed sites of interesting pyramids does not mention LIDAR as its search method. Close scrutiny of regular photography taken from space satellites were their imaging resources. Laser light (LIDAR basis) cannot, so far as I understand, create visual imagery thru water of any depth. The light bounces off water(?) and registers as a solid surface(?) If anyone knows better, I'm fully happy to learn more.

        The two articles might link to each other as co-interesting topics, but they are two separate investigations using different methodology.
        -crispy

        Yucatan has ancient cities just off the coast that have been revealed
        using Lidar satellite images.  I did not know they could use this
        process from orbiting satellites.  Any body know more about this?

        https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=391088031013190&set=a.208889809233014.44597.208845839237411&type=3&theater

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to: