Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Hixton and Trade Routes

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 29, 2013
      Silicified Sandstone! THAT's what I've got in my samples... only this one is an olive green and comes from Lake Erie region, last I could track down.
      I call it my "greasy-green" because of the odd texture it gives between the fingers... textured, but smooth. Under a microscope, the sand-grains break THRU the crystals, showing some metamorphic heat was endured(?)  Do you have a name for it on the books? Also, under magnification, the sandgrains are multi-hued and originally from an assorted-mineral resource when first eroded and deposited who knows when. But to the naked eye, the colors are collapsed like printing pixels and we perceive it as a muddy green... but it glows around the edges just like the Hixon SS does in pictures.
      https://www.google.com/search?q=hixton+silicified+sandstone&client=firefox-a&hs=sdy&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=t_72UbTAGsvyyAG3q4DoDQ&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=897
      -crispy