more on ancient Aztalan Mounds and origin of name

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7 11:04 AM
      Interesting,  ambiguous paragraph about Aztalan's  origins from the current Aztalan Mounds Calendar of Events.  The state park is located west of Madison, Wisconsin. a must-see if in that area of Wisconsin but if you really want to hear some side-stepping or double-talk, go on a $2 tour of the museum and grounds.
      At least this brochure now acknowledges "possible Mexican influence".
      I tacked this message to a thread of posts re: Latham and Hyer mentioned a few years ago at this site on this subject.
      SE

      ..." Sunday August 17, 2:00pm: The site of Aztalan at Aztalan State Park was named by Nathanial Hyer in 1837 for the place the Aztec people of Mexico identified as their original homeland. Although the site has nothing to do with the Aztecs, some scholars believe that the broader culture, the Mississippian, had contacts with ancient Mexican societies. In honor of the name and possible Mexican influence, the Friends of Aztalan State Park have once again invited the spectacular Aztec dancers of the Ballet Folklorico de Mexico to perform at Aztalan State Park. The event itself is free but is being used as fund raiser for the planned new visitor's center at the park, so donations will be gladly accepted. A Wisconsin state park vehicle sticker is required but can be purchased at the park."

      http://i94.biz/aztalan/aztalan.html

      Susan English -- from my iPad