Re: [ancient_waterways_society] meteoric metal use

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6 9:45 PM
      Thanks for this note Ryan, I wonder what they hacked away at the meteor with?   I wonder what they made out of it and how they worked the material.

      It is hard to get a compass to work around the snake mound in Ohio.   There is a whole culture of meteorite collectors after the one that landed in Russia this year.

      ted
      On Jul 2, 2013, at 5:57 PM, Ryan Howell wrote:

      Ted,

      Use of meteoric iron by Native Americans is well documented throughout North America, especially in the Arctic by the Thule and Nunavut peoples (who may have developed an especially high regard for iron after contact with the Norse or Norse artifacts in Greenland), as memory serves there are historic records of the Nunavut folks mining a large meteorite in central Canada so heavily that it looked like a hollowed out apple core when the first European explorers were shown it.

       Given the high-esteem apparently placed on exotic raw materials and extensive trade network of the Hopewell folks this should come as no surprise, but your right there has not been much publication of this data or artifacts that I am aware of. As archaeologists, we have probably neglected alot of iron scraps from prehistoric contexts in the Midwest thinking they were intrusive historic materials, especially in historic plowed fields were iron scrap is so common.

      Ryan