Fw: LaSalle's discovered ship and the Chicago Map Society Cabal (it-is-what-it-is)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2013
      See below article on Lasalle...

      From: Carl J. Weber <abraca1340@...>;
      To: <libert@...>;
      Cc: Buisseret, David <buisser@...>; Robert Holland <phirah@...>; carl kupfer <carlkupfer@...>; <KarrowR@...>; <akermanj@...>; <JeremyPool@...>; <garver@...>; <jose.brandao@...>; <kgrabowski@...>; <vranaken@...>; <lclayton@...>; <Lewis@...>; <thierry.bulot@...>; <udanckers@...>; <v_barrows@...>; <mcgrathk@...>; <quinmu1@...>; <Bapopik@...>; <pentland@...>; <dyallen2@...>; <spadaforad@...>; <ehusar@...>; <jschlepp@...>; <marty_fischer@...>; <msmothers@...>; <jpmaher@...>; <rboswell@...>; <rrhodes@...>; <naunaetitrakul@...>; <jlewis@...>; <kwbooks_html@...>; <w9vtc@...>; <myronandrow@...>; <nick.millea@...>; <benrush@...>; <masada36@...>; <markus.heinz@...-berlin.de>; <martin.rickenbacher@...>; <vladimir@...>; <mgcocco@...>; <DENIS-RIVIERE@...>; <s.duffield@...>; <rupertgerritsen@...>; <mwoods@...>; <info@...>; <info@...>; <patboyce@...>; <chartarum@...>; <elri@...>; <lysandro@...>; <derek@...>; <sig@...>; <mlapaine@...>; <jeh@...>; <vincenzo@...>; <eva@...>; <Goran.Baarnhielm@...>; <lstmap@...>; <hd@...>; <frazer@...>; <secretary@...>; <agsl@...>; <ahudson@...>; <Briand@...>; <NYMapsociety@...>; <nemo@...>; <Thomas.Edwards@...>; <oml@...>; <ingrid.kretschmer@...>; <pvanee@...>; <ch1perez@...>; <treasurer@...>; <tom.overton@...>; <maps@...>; <j.navarro@...>; <goodwin@...>; <webstermaps@...>; <washmap@...>; <richard@...>; <Mhameleers@...>; <wpcms@...>; Abra Cadabra <abraca1340@...>;
      Subject: Re: LaSalle's discovered ship and the Chicago Map Society Cabal (it-is-what-it-is)
      Sent: Tue, Jun 18, 2013 4:33:30 AM

      Hi Steve...

      Congrats. Saw your publicity in national news yesterday. Great.
      Long time no sea.

      ------------
      Inline image 1

      snip
      ----------
      Steve, one article said,

      "Rene Robert Cavelier de la Salle ordered the Griffin built near Niagara Falls in 1679 to support his quest for what was widely – but erroneously – believed to be a passageway to China and Japan."

      Nope. There everybody goes again, slamming LaSalle's "erroneous" ways. The Griffin, 1679, had nothing to  do with China. The hope for a short cut to China was quashed by 1675. The documents show the motivation for the Griffin was that it was to inaugurate a trading route from Canada to France by way of the Mississippi River, establishing a year-round warm water port at the Gulf of Mexico. After 1675, there is no mention by LaSalle, nor anyone else, of a water route to China. Where did that come from for the writer of the article?

      The King had commissioned LaSalle to navigate the Mississippi in 1678 (on LaSalle's second return trip to France). The Griffin was part of that commission, or "patent", as more accurately called. Also, the port on the Gulf would create a bulwark against the Spanish situation, which in 1683 flared into a hot war. The factual story of LaSalle is far more interesting than wrapping it up as his "erroneous belief in a passageway to China and Japan".

      "La Salle ordered the ship to return for more supplies and to deliver a load of furs, while he continued his journey by canoe. The Griffin was never heard from again. There are various theories about its fate, but none that have been proven. Libert, who spent years studying the writings of La Salle and a companion, believes it sank in a fierce storm only a few miles after setting sail."

      Spotty data on this, as you know, Steve. LaSalle himself reports the Griffin was sabotaged and the furs were stolen and taken to Hudson Bay, where they were sold to the British. Why would one believe sourceless information about the Griffin lost in a storm? (Even though that story has been repeated many times.) Why not believe LaSalle? What's unmentioned are the two years before LaSalle "continued his journey by canoe"... his trek on foot a thousand or so miles in the dead of the bitterest of winters from Illinois to Montreal. And these years saw the most unimaginably horrible massacre/cannibalism in French Colonial history, on the Illinois River -- Indian on Indian: the Iroquois instigated by the Jesuits, against the many tribes who had sought LaSalle's protection. And the retreat by the survivors to what was later called Starved Rock.

      If you are interested in championing the cause of LaSalle's Griffin, you should know that the earliest surviving map of the American interior, known as the Minet Map, was copied by Minet in 1685 from a map by LaSalle. LaSalle is denied this credit for "earliest map" because the Marquette Hoax Map is propped up by what is tantamount to an academic cabal of Jesuit apologists, currently ensconced in the Chicago Map society. Sounds kind of harsh, but it is what it is.

      "Carl, the field you are in is so full of academic intrigue and back-stabbing... that I wearied of trying to sort through it"...
      Pulitzer Prize winning Chicago Tribune investigative reporter William Mullen (see more on this below).

      The Marquette Map is a fake map, "discovered" in 1842. It was claimed in that year to have been created in 1674. No one questioned it. To foster a mid-19th century Jesuit agenda, it was faked for purposes upmanship in the competition with other missionary orders for the allegiance of the massive influx of Catholics into North America. (BTW, no one at Marquette University feels capable of responding to my observations.)

      The Jesuits had published the first fake Marquette Map and narrative in 1681. This was a year after the Griffin disappeared. That map and narrative were intended for the consumption of the French public. Why? To beat LaSalle to the public opinion punch regarding Mississippi exploration. Was having a hand in the sabotage of LaSalle's Griffin another ploy? Why haven't scholars made the connections? In part, no doubt because the scholars that have been "most respected" since the 1850s have all been Jesuits: foremost,  J.G. Shea (dropped from the order to get married), Jean DeLanglez, Joseph Donnelly, Raphael Hamilton and Lucian Campeau.

      Incidentally, Marquette is innocent in all this, his good name having had been used after he died.

      Early on, the Jesuits harbored deep resentment toward the King (Louis XIV) for diminishing their authority in New France. In 1664, he transformed New France from a missionary colony to a royal colony. He packed the New France governing body, the Sovereign Council. This was to the crown's advantage and Jesuit disadvantage. LaSalle was the King's direct agent. He spent years doing what today would be called "undercover special operations" -- specifically, exploring the Ohio Vally during his "missing years".

      The Marquette Map that was "discovered" in 1842 is the second Marquette Map fraud, the one of 1681 having been the first. Today's perpetrators of this fraud are associated with the Chicago Map Society at the Newberry Library, Chicago. They are David Buisseret, Carl Kupfer, and enabler president, Robert Holland. These three are perfectly well aware of my sentiments in these regards. They are at the head of my CCs list. They set forth and defend the fabrications engineered by Buisseret: that LaSalle should be discredited and that the Jesuits lauded. How LaSalle's ship, the Griffin, fits in with this must be evaluated with care.

      Discrediting LaSalle, In a talk to the Chicago Map Society, Buisseret said that a "proof" map exists in France. (I have the audio tape of him saying it, after he was non-responsive to six emails over two months.) No such map exist. Buisseret also discovered another "proof" map, made in 1676. Hardly. He made no such discovery, even though he said he had made it, and he told the Chicago Map Society, similarly of his "discovered" 1676 map. (I have his claim in an email from him. What outrageous dissimulation!) And moreover, there is other data, data that he plagiarized. He lifted a thesis nearly verbatim from Marquette apologist Lucien Campeau's 1992 article in Les Cahiers des Dix.

      I am not going away, and I demand they fess up and apologize to me and the Chicago Map Society. The students and teachers of this history deserve more than this. So much for politicians, lawyers, used car salesmen, and academics. For shame.

      Last year, Buisseret said in his talk to the Chicago Map Society that Marquette counted paddle strokes to calculate his way. After the talk I asked him how he could say that Marquette counted paddle strokes, when not a mention of that is in the literature. He said "I didn't say that". I said, "yes you did". He looked back at me with a serpentine eye, and said, "you'll have to prove that." For shame David. Anyone who remembers the talks he and Kupfer gave at the Newberry Library might remember that more than a few times I jumped out of my seat voicing my indignation. How could he dare make the audacious statements he did, on an unsuspecting and trusting audience?

      They refuse to let me respond to their fabricated reports with a presentation to the Chicago Map Society or better, an open debate on Skype. It took Buisseret 7 years to respond to my 2005 Chicago Map Society Marquette Map Hoax thesis. They will not respond to my communications. Are they cowards hiding behind an unwillingness based on my lack of civility? Please note, and everybody who has long been receiving my emails is aware of this, for years I was bend-over-backwards civil while Buisseret and Kupfer's henchmen, centered from the University of Indiana, smeared me all over the internet. Now, after years of my total frustration, I use the words "lie" and "plagiarize", in a very fitting English Language usage, and Holland, president of the Chicago Map Society, calls me reckless, regardless of the unanswered documentation I sent him.

      Pulitzer Prize winning Chicago Tribune investigative reporter William Mullen stated:

       "In my evaluation, and in that of some distinguished experts, his [Weber's] pursuit of historical truth has resulted in some very unusual discoveries. They will merit some basic revisions in the historical record. Carl and I have communicated numerous times about this research, by phone, email, and in person. Between assignments for the Chicago Tribune, I've been carefully reviewing 17 nth century documents and what later historians have had to say about them - at times in consultation with Professor Weber. Using his core work in this area, my intention is to publish a piece about French colonial America, inquiring into some of the inaccuracies that have long been considered established fact regarding the foundational histories of the regions of the Mississippi Valley, the Illinois Valley and the Chicago area."

      After not hearing from him, Mullen wrote to me:

      "Carl, the field you are in is so full of academic intrigue and back-stabbing... that I wearied of trying to sort through it."

      "Academic intrigue" and "back-stabbing" are a Pulitzer Prize winning investigative reporter's words, not mine. I think it's time for Buisseret, Kupfer, and Holland to come clean.

      The first map of the American Heartland was by LaSalle, Steve, and it is part of the Griffin story. We should try to get some graduate students interested in doing some work on this. See carljweber.com and carljweber.com/blog.

      Inline image 1

      Buffalo New York Library mural, "Griffin", c. 1905

      ----

      Inline image 1

      Photo by Margaret DeLeon

      Weber, c. 2004, field research, LaSalle's Fort where he waited for the Griffin.

      ----

      Regards and Congratulations,

      Carl