Norse in L'Anse-aux-Meadows used jasper fire flints from 230 km away

  • land_lubber
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2013
      Interesting report of findings recently presented by Kevin Smith, Norse Researcher. Analysis of jasper fire flints at L'Anse-aux-Meadows shows that they originated in Notre Dame Bay, Newfoundland, which is 230 km to the south.

      http://www.livescience.com/37189-new-viking-voyage-discovered.html

      http://www.livescience.com/37140-viking-voyage-discovered.html

      I just wonder whether the jasper was obtained by the Norse via trade with the Beothuks, rather than actually voyaging to Notre Dame Bay to collect it themselves.
    • Karla Akins