New genetic study of Ancient Americans

  • Francisco J. González
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 24 10:12 AM
      New genetic study of Ancient Americans

      A new genetic study has been published in the PLOS Genetics journal. They studied the Y chromosome markers in 50 tribal South American populations. They found evidence of several migrations to the Americas. 1,011 subjects were studied. Among other finds, they identified a lineage never described in North and Central America before; the C-M217 (C3*) haplotype, which is frequent in East, Central and Northeast Asia, but not in Alaska or Central America. It was found in Ecuador and would be consisted with entry from a trans-Pacific or coastal route. This haplotype is found in Korea, Japan and among the Ainu of northern Japan and Melanesia.They also found a Polynesian lineage in Peru. (this is consistent with findings from Kennewick Man and Monte Verde).

      It has been observed that very ancient pottery in the Americas produced by the Valdivia Culture of Ecuador at 4,400 BCE is very similar to the middle Jomon culture of Japan at the same time. A trans-Pacific contact has been hypothesized here. The fact that this new research finds the new lineage of C3 in Ecuador in the same area may strengthen that theory.

      PhysOrg has the story here;
      http://phys.org/news/2013-04-america-settlers.html

      And the highly detailed study in the PLOS Journal article is here;
      http://www.plosgenetics.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pgen.1003460
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 24 3:27 PM
        I am hoping that in my lifetime, this whole silly 'controversy' over ancient humans being able to use the oceans as highways, not barriers, will be settled, once and for all! *:D big grin
        My own convictions side with The Pleistocene Coalition that even the 'proto' humans, a step shy of being 'modern', were fully capable of leaving 'home' and intentionally crossing large bodies of water. For those not familiar with this excellent organization and Newsletter, see:
        >   http://pleistocenecoalition.com/   <
        [if that doesn't link automatically, copy-paste into your URL addy line.]
        -chris p

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            ancient_waterways_society-digest@yahoogroups.com
            ancient_waterways_society-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • kbs2244
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 25 9:02 AM
          Northwest South America has always had a strong Japanese connection.

          I cannot recall right now, but either Ecuador or Peru had just lately elected an ethnic Japanese as president.
        • C TRAYLOR
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 25 9:10 AM

               Try this in your Internet search window:
                        former japanese president of peru
            Cal

            This message is in English, thank our veterans

            for keeping the front lines .... over there.