Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Finally snagged him for just one day

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 15, 2013
      Thank Rick for that heads up and how wonderful to share the enthusiasm that comes with showing someone these places.

      On Apr 15, 2013, at 2:51 PM, Rick O wrote:

      On the evening of April 13th and all day April 14th, 2013, I had the privilege of taking Wayne May, publisher of Ancient American magazine, to several little known archaeological sites in southwestern Indiana. As a result of that limited time, the AA readers  will soon learn about (1) a previously unknown (to academia) fortress site, a great report about an historically known ancient fortress, (2) a feature suspected to be an undocumented mass burial mound, (3) a documented giant's burial mound, (4) the ancient (and into historical times) woods bison migration route through southern Indiana, (5) a town site that turned ghost town due to a plague and it's missing treasury, but that town has other very strange characteristics, (6) and, finally, I showed Wayne some of a vast, integrated communications network that ran the lengths of all the major rivers, thought to have to conveyed messages to and from even the minor villages along or near the rivers east of the Rockies using light rather than legs (and in an amazingly short time).

      Wayne will write up some of these and I will do the rest.

      We both will soon be working together on another ancient site, this time in Wisconsin.  We have a plan to completely map a site of about 70 acres in a single day! We think we can do this by employing Google Earth to "pre-map" observation points than use handheld GPS to go to that exact spot to make further measurements using laser rangefinders and more common tools.

    • C TRAYLOR
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 17, 2013
        GREAT stuff .... Re Google Maps, I use it frequently from my desk.  It has improved to the point it is ACCURATE if you zoom in as close as possible, then snap the cursor ... even on a driveway.  In Appreciation for Google, I have been giving a credit line to Google Maps each time.

        --
         Cal