Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Re: elephants

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 8, 2013
      They are referring to Mammoths and Mastodons in most cases in pre history.  One entire group of skeletons is being excavated in Iowa in recent years that was found in the banks of a stream.  One famous finds was found in the banks of the Kickappoo River in Wisconsin and is now a display at the University of Wisconsin in Madison.

      Vince Barrow shared a newspaper article of a mammoth bone in Florida near Vero Beach. It had a drawing of a mammoth etched in the bone when it was fresh.

      Names have been given to hills and rocks that resemble other things in many places.

      PS The pigmy mammoth was also found on Wrangle Island north of Siberia.  Reports say that as the population of them grew, their size was reduced to lack of food.  The large ones died out and the small survived.  National Geographic has some stories on these animals including the ones found in the channel islands along with tools of those who hunted them.

      Be well all
      ted
      On Apr 8, 2013, at 8:52 AM, Jither wrote:

      Thank you!!!!  Never heard of these pygmy elephants!   I read the Wiki article on them.  Seems these California Channel Island pygmy elephants were still living around 10,000 to 11,000 years ago-  indeed, prehistoric.  But historically, could some type of elephant or mammoth been alive in No. America?  That is, even pre-Columbus?  There were northern traders (mainly French) and fishermen (Eng/Irish/Norse) for many years before Columbus came over, in the St Lawrence watershed area, and continuing down the coast of New England;  the Grand Banks, for example, was fished for cod long before Columbus.  So, maybe these European folk sighted elephants?   I still don’t think so, just because the climate would not allow.

      Your thoughts?

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 8, 2013
        Welcome to the new members.

        What I find most intriguing after reading several articles on the  dwarf elephant or mammoth in and around the Channel Islands is the possibility of its existance 20,000-47,000 + years ago and it alleged abilities as a distance swimmer.  One such article below.  Good comments, and thanks for beinging up this subject again.

        http://www.mednscience.org/sites/default/files/products/Agenbroad_Mammoths_Humans_0.pdf

        I like to search the Ancient Waterways archives here as know many members  have taken time to post  thoughtful comments and brought forward previous research subjects as this.  Just under "elephant" alone, for example ---not even including "mastadon" or "mammoth" --- are  thirty-nine posts from this group dating  back to 2007: