Re: Navigationalism (Diffusionists Have Landed links-Atlantic Monthly Jan., 2000

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 22, 2013
      Sorry---delete my previous blank Post.  My fingers are like clubs on cold days.
      Ted,
      Unless Atlantic Monthly did a reprint of that fine series of articles from 2000,
      when I did a Search of Messages at our site I found a number of posts on the sunject.  Below is a link to 2009 posts  from myself and Rock Osman
      which includes a link for the full article to Part I.  Rick saved a photo of the wonderful front cover of Atlantic Monthly which I have used as a Screensaver and I have seen it framed at a home in Northern Wisconsin (see AWS Files ---9/24/09).  Below I am also including Parts II & III of the article, same author.  The Internet now has a variety of commentaries on the article, etc.  reading.

      Pt. II:  http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/2000/01/001stengel2.htm

      Part III:   http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/2000/01/001stengel3

      image.jpeg

      Susan English -- sent from my iPad

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Ted Sojka <tedsojka@...> wrote:

      > In light of the new focus of the crystals that may have been used for
      > navigating by the Vikings and then the English on our site, I came
      > across a bit of news in a book recommended by one of you called, The
      > First Americans", by Christopher Hardaker.
      >
      > There were no boats allowed in migration theories, not even evidence
      > of the 60 K Australian precedent.... ( and grants, scholarships, and
      > funding would not be there for researchers.)
      >
      > The new "navigationalism" will have a great impact on the Academy . A
      > fine Atlantic Monthly article by Marc Stengel called, "The
      > Diffusionists Have Landed", brings up new sets of questions about who
      > the first Americans were.
      >
      > Anybody read that article and care to comment about it ?
      >
      > Ted

    • Larry Hancock
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 22, 2013
        I cannot remember when it was published, but it seems a bit dated. I cannot speak for much of it, however I am very familiar with the Vermont sites Fell refers to and have spent over 30 years measuring and photographing them as well as many more. Yes, Fell made errors, in part because of his age and difficulty getting to some parts of the hilly terrain and in part because he basically made a whirlwind tour through the state. While some of his interpretations are incorrect what is undeniable are the sites and stones themselves. Whenever Fell is found to be wrong every critic wants to diasparage the sites or throw the baby out with the bathwater.