"The Natural Wall, A Keweenaw Wonder"

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2007
      All,

      I've not been to the following site that I had mentioned last night--
      an allegedly natural sandstone rock wall in the Keweenaw Peninsula
      that researchers David Hoffman and Fred Rydholm have spoken to me
      about. It is not far from the Keweenaw fault and remnanats of ancient
      copper mines and pits scattered for probably least a hundred miles in
      all directions. Perhaps some of you vacationing or doing
      investigative work up there this summer might find exploring up there
      intriguing.

      Not 'natural', though, are a number of mounds which the late
      Ontonagon Historical Museum curator Ruth Ristola called 'pyramids'
      and a three mile walk into the bush near Ontonagon, Lake Superior and
      the Porcupine Mts. Also have not seen these nor located the sites on
      a map; would love to have photos and learn more about those sites.

      There is still so much relatively unexplored country and sites up in
      that region of the country; all interested in this kind of study
      could benefit from the kind of in-depth analyses and broad field open-
      mindedness we have been seeing lately here at Ancient Waterways, the
      Thor group, and PreColumbian Inscriptions. I feel privileged to be
      getting to know each of you. Many here seem to be incorporating
      these things into your lives, working cooperatively, and building
      upon each other's insights. Rather than competing or merely
      collecting mountains of data to be shelved or banked away for some
      future generation.

      The geology of the Copper Country is fascinating. Check out Herb's
      web site from the AAAPF related web links. And artifact web page of
      90-ish, retired veterinarian Dr. Johnson (from my city, Wausau,
      Wisconsin) and his son. Anyone interested, Doc Johnson still opens
      his basement to the public, has been visited by scientists from
      dozens of universities. In Rydholm's latest book, he informs us of of
      Doc's strong scientific integrity and archaelogical ethics.

      While on the subject of the copper country, about a decade ago I
      purchased the entire 'earthquake file' from Michigan Tech University
      when looking for the reportedly thousands of ancient aboriginal
      copper pits up there. I'd found a few surrounded by what looks like
      not too old conglomerate near Cliff drive and the Keweenaw fault.
      The earthquake file is mostly limited to news clippings and personal
      accounts...was reportedly a fairly sizable quake early in the century
      but no seismographic equipment for measurement at that time.

      For the archives here, I am including the link for the aforementioned
      rock wall. This is not to suggest a parallel or similiarity to the
      underwater rock patterning Herb is talking about. Just that the
      Keweenaw Peninsula is a fascinating place geologically, still very
      remote area to explore which I hope those of you who have not been up
      there will do so some day. Let me know if any or a group of you
      would like to gather somewhere for a field trip. Rydholm, Wayne May,
      Hoffman, AAAPF organizers Judy and Glen, Dr. Jim Scherz, and others
      of us are always looking for excuses to gather and incorporate
      newcomers into the fun and serious work they all do up there.

      From the Range Railroad and Copper Country Historical Page, "The
      Natural Wall, A Keweenaw Wonder"
      http://pasty.com/copperrange/natural.htm

      Thanks, Steve, for the photos. I hope Oz, Pam, or someone here can
      help you with the posting of the images. If not, perhaps William
      Smith, Jay Wakefield, or someone at the AAAPF site. I would be glad
      to send their email addresses.

      Susan
      http://hometown.aol.com/suzenglish/myhomepage/profile.html