Re: [ancient_waterways_society] M Lewis episode

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2013
      Good points it is always good to have someone who knows the law.  Still, I had never heard that Merriweather Lewis had committed suicide by shooting himself "twice".

      The fellow who led the expedition up the Red River or Arkansas while Lewis and Clark were going up the Missouri had lots of shady characters working for him and was also accused of high treason.   Maybe Lewis had evidence that were in the missing pages of in his diary.

      Anybody know if Clark wrote anything about the death of Lewis on the Natchez Trace?

      ted
      On Feb 27, 2013, at 9:40 PM, David S Brody wrote:

      I had hoped you would have some insights on this, Rick, thanks!

      I will add my 2 cents also and say that, as a real estate lawyer, I found the argument that the act of the Welsh making a land claim would somehow invalidate U.S. legal title to the Louisiana Purchase lands to be totally unfounded. It is simply wrong—the treaty signed with the British after the Revolutionary War made clear that our claims vis a vis Britain (including Wales ) were valid. Having said that, I do recognize that there may have been political/cultural/religious reasons, especially with the specter of renewed hostilities with the British (the War of 1812) looming, to call into question whether our pioneers were the first Europeans to explore these lands. This climate could have been tied to Lewis’s death. The episode raised some interesting questions, but I thought the answers it supplied to those questions were flawed.

      Dave Brody

        --
        Karla Akins