RE: [ancient_waterways_society] Re: Vermont "bee-hive dwellings"

  • Jither
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013

      Hi, Dave.  Thank you for your email!

      Giovanna Peebles Neudorfer is very fixed in her ideas and could use a massive dose of tolerance of new ideas and politeness to people with whom she disagrees.   I’ve been to Calendar II several times over the years: it is NOT part of any stone wall!  I’m curious:  did she work on this survey as a bureaucrat employee, then sell the info in book form?   Hmmmm.  Doesn’t sound quite right to me.

      But, in the spirit of honest investigation, I will track down that book.

      Thank you again!   You gave me much food for thought.

      -Jither

      In  Brrrmont

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
        I'm a firm believer in allowing everyone to have their opinion, regardless of how much (or little) I agree with that opinion. In this case, I see no reason why the chambers Neudorfer identifies as Type A can't be presumed colonial until proven otherwise.

        I see the same sort of thing in Westford, where a researcher found a shallow cellar hole surrounded by alow stone wall. This he concluded must be Henry Sinclair's winter quarters. This was in spite of the fact the structure was in the old barnyard of a colonial farmstead, used English measurements, had a dried up stream in the middle of it. This by the way, is the exact description of a milk house left to ruin after the stream dried up.

        Alternatively, back in 1934, the Haverhill Evening Gazette ran a follow-up article where a a member of the Pattee family unequivocally stated her grandfather built the structures of the Mystery Hill site. She incorrectly identified the country of origin for her family, missed the family's date of immigration by a century and based upon her timeline, her grandfather would have built the structures a decade or more after her great-grandfather was already living in a house he had built on top of several of the structures.

        My point? Identification as Colonial or pre-Columbian is only as good as the researcher doing the work.  Vermont's Stone Chambers, regardless of the conclusions, is an excellent place to start research. I, for instance, would probably start with any given chamber and trace the land deeds  back to the pre-Vermont grants in NH or MA records. In a perfect world, a deed would mention the stone chamber.  However, more likely you end up with a chain of ownership that can be compared to tax records and wills to compare function and inventory. My interpretation of a chamber is going to be affected by its proximity to an apple orchard, compared to a grist mill operator.

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Jither" <jither@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Dave. Thank you for your email!
        >

        > Giovanna Peebles Neudorfer is very fixed in her ideas and could use a
        > massive dose of tolerance of new ideas and politeness to people with whom
        > she disagrees. I've been to Calendar II several times over the years: it
        > is NOT part of any stone wall! I'm curious: did she work on this survey as
        > a bureaucrat employee, then sell the info in book form? Hmmmm. Doesn't
        > sound quite right to me.
        >

        > But, in the spirit of honest investigation, I will track down that book.
        >

        > Thank you again! You gave me much food for thought.
        >

        > -Jither
        >
        > In Brrrmont

      • Jither
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 24, 2013

          Hi, and thanks again.

          Do you know anything  morel about the so-called “bee-hive dwellings” in Vermont?  As well, do you know anything about the John Williams who was Barry Fell’s field guide (at least, in Vermont)?  It is a common enough name that it gives me trouble trying to trace him.

           Agree with you regarding age/function being in the eye/mind of the beholder.

[...]

          &g t;

        • ZHstar@...
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 24, 2013
            Hi-  John Williams has disappeared.   I sure would like to talk to him.  The last I heard he moved to New Mexico and that's a few years  ago.    don't know  @ beehive chambers. ZH

            In a message dated 2/24/2013 8:13:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, jither@... writes:

> [...]

            --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Jither" <jither@...> wrote:
            &g t;
            > Hi, Dave. Thank you for your email!
            >

            > Giovanna Peebles Neudorfer is very fixed in her ideas and could use a
            > massive dose of tolerance of new ideas and politeness to people with whom
            > she disagrees. I've been to Calendar II severa l times over the years: it
            > is NOT part of any stone wall! I'm curious: did she work on this survey as
            > a bureaucrat employee, then sell the info in book form? Hmmmm. Doesn't
            > sound quite right to me.
            >

            > But, in the spirit of honest investigation, I will track down that book.
            >

            > Thank you again! You gave me much food for thought.

          • Jither
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 24, 2013

              Thanks.  Last I knew there was a John Williams teaching (Stanford?), but it might not be the one.  IF it was, he’s retired by now.  I wonder if the original publisher might know?

              I have a few friends out in NM- but they probably don’t know Mr. Williams. Still, could check under that name via the Net, in NM.  Might be worth a shot.  I, too, would love to chat with him!

            • ZHstar@...
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 24, 2013
                Good Luck !     If you find him I sure would like to talk to him about a field trip he did with Barry Fell . ZH

                In a message dated 2/24/2013 6:42:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, jither@... writes:

> [...]

                --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Jither" <jither@...> wrote:
                &g t;
                > Hi, Dave. Thank you for your email!
                >

                > Giovanna Peebles Neudorfer is very fixed in her ideas and could use a
                > massive dose of tolerance of new ideas and politeness to people with whom
                > she disagrees. I've been to Calendar II severa l times over the years: it
                > is NOT part of any stone wall! I'm curious: did she work on this survey as
                > a bureaucrat employee, then sell the info in book form? Hmmmm. Doesn't
                > sound quite right to me.
                >

                > But, in the spirit of honest investigation, I will track down that book.
                >

                > Thank you again! You gave me much food for thought.

              • Jither
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013

                  Will do.     Bye.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                    I've not seen a Post at Ancient Waterways Society from member Brad Olsen of California, but this link shoukd take you to one of his books, Sacred Dites North America anda age listing 41 beehive cairns orcstructures in Vemont.  I believe the email address Brad signed up at AWS has changed.

                    http://books.google.com/books?id=l4hTCuby90IC&pg=PA321&lpg=PA321&dq=beehive+dwellings+vermont&source=bl&ots=QWk8R6FIs6&sig=mHhcsMr9muwcp9EyxHByXXB2NMA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=nu0rUcmCBOyQyQHzvoHwBQ&ved=0CDwQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=beehive%20dwellings%20vermont&f=false

                  • Jither
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013

                      Thank you, Susan.  Very kind of you.  Wonderful.

                      -Jither