Underwater "Road" in NW Wis. & Keweenaw Trip

  • herbswoods
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2007
      Thanks for your replies. I made individual replies but had the wrong
      identity and they didn't post. I'll try to summarize them all here.

      I'm thinking that what looks to be an underwater "road" is probably
      natural in origin, but I should upload a photo of it to my website and
      get opinions. I'll do that after my trip to the U.P.

      Yes, this is the sort of thing they were looking for in Rock Lake in
      southern Wis., only it turned up here in NW Wisconsin instead!

      Yes, it is on a possible ancient route from the copper mines of Lake
      Superior to the south. As some of you know I'm very interested in the
      copper of Lake Superior.

      I'm not saying this discovery is a "Roman" road or anything that
      exotic, but only that it LOOKS like something out of a history book on
      ancient Rome.

      Only underwater!

      Funny, but that reminds me of a story I heard many years ago at the
      Adventure Mine near Greenland. A lady had led tours there and said
      that one time a strange person in a long black overcoat visited. He
      said: "There's no copper here!" When asked why he replied: "Because
      beings from the 'water planet' came and took it."

      On Friday I'm leaving for a trip to Keweenaw Point on Lake Superior.
      We hope to locate "Albion Rock" near North American Gap (a possible
      ancient beacon site to the ancient diggings); Petit Marais (an early
      harbor of refuge), and what one old timer speculated was a Phoenician
      Altar Stone and slave pen.

      The location of Albion Rock dropped out of sight after the 1840s but I
      think I know its location. In 1999 I tried to find Petit Marais but
      failed. Now I have a better idea of its exact location. This was a
      rare safe landing on the exposed extreme end of Keweenaw Point to
      anyone prospecting for copper in small boats or canoes. It's exact
      location has been largely forgotten.

      In the 1980s I located the supposed Phoenician Altar Stone and took
      photos. I don't know if I can find it again but will try to.

      I'm going to take lots of photos and record all our experiences up
      there. The Copper Country is truly a magical and spirit-haunted place!

      Susan: can you tell us about your recent trip to the U.P. and what
      your impressions and findings were up there?

      I hope this message posts.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2007
        Herb, members and onlookers here:

        Unfortunately, I've not been to the Keewinaw Peninsula yet this year,
        though used to drive up every few weeks during non-winter months.

        I was working north of Crystal Falls last week, then root canal work
        Tuesday in Ironwood so much less than estimated that I can now afford
        to attend the October AAAPF conference.

        Am pondering driving up to the Copper Country this Sunday for the day
        to set up tables at Prospectors Paradise on Hwy 41 in Allouez, north
        of Houghton. Regardless, August 8th through Saturday will find me
        vending/camping there at a small annual metaphysical "Peoples Fair"
        on the grounds of the above rock shop. Should you find time to stop
        en route from your explorations, Herb, friendly owners Darlene and
        Alex will be happy to show you what they and others have long called
        a 'vortex' at the back of their property surrounded by numerous
        gnarled and nobby evergreen trees, twisted similar to the juniper
        trees atop vortexes in Sedona, Arizona. Every year at this time, two
        Michigan Tech engineering professors stop to talk and visit the site
        (w/dowsing rods). If I let them know ahead when I will be at the rock
        shop. I believe at least one regularly follows posts at this site.
        I hope Norm from this web site will stop by also; his new Lake
        Superior summer cabin is only minutes from the rock shop.

        Herb, I've heard nothing of an "Albion Rock" nor a "Petit Marais" but
        am quite intrigued. I rec'd a reply this AM from Wayne May (after he
        read some of the current Ancient Waterways Society posts) that you
        have submitted an article (on a different subject) which will be in
        the September issue of Ancient American. Wayne added that what you
        are working on now 'sounds exciting'. Many of us here are subscribers
        to the magazine and will enjoy reading your article.

        As Pam mentioned, photos of the underwater rocks would be
        interesting. Writer David Hoffman emailed me yesterday asking if the
        rock patterning structure you mentioned might be near an area of a
        very ancient, supposedly natural rock wall in the Keweenaw Peninsula.
        I have an old photo, if anyone is interested...haven't checked the
        site out personally yet. David tried to email this group and you
        personally, Berb, but doesn't have a yahoo email address yet.

        Susan

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "herbswoods"