Fwd: Who were the red-haired giants of early North America?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2013
      This is an article that Larry shared and I thought very interesting for those exploring the ancient world.
      ted

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: "Larry Hancock" <notification+z6cgddif@...>
      Date: January 26, 2013 10:55:17 AM CST
      To: Mystery Mountain West Virginia <125698200930401@...>
      Subject: [Mystery Mountain West Virginia] Who were the red-haired giants of early North America?

      Larry Hancock10:55am Jan 26
      Who were the red-haired giants of early North America?
      www.stumbleupon.com
      Who were the red-haired giants of early North America? "On the earth there once were giants." - Gree...

      View Post on Facebook · Edit Email Settings · Reply to this email to add a comment.

    • bigalemc2
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 27, 2013
        Ted -

        [Kind of my same old same old argument about having a serious discussion...]

        While the topic is of interest, such articles that have NO links are pretty useless for a serious discussion.  I found myself questioning assertions right off the bat, and the guy provides NO ability for us to vet his claims.  I know that much of what he says is supported - somewhere - but this article is like an Op-Ed piece, with his assertions of antiquity and veracity, yet he doesn't bother letting people have a chance to know if he is blowing it out his rear end or what.  Which parts are supported, and which parts are his take on things?

        He also pulls the von Daniken scattershot approach, throwing stuff at people in rapid succession, so that there is little chance to absorb one assertion before another is crowding one's attention.  Thus, he is never held accountable for anything he says.

        It is an un-sober presentation and adds nothing to the discussion other than possible fables, possible reality, possible invention, possible stroking everyone.  I use the term "Sloppy Thinkers" for such people. Even if there is something of merit in what they say, who but the well initiated would be able to separate the wheat from the chaff?  HOW does that contribute anything to the overall inquiry?

        I submit that it doesn't.

        --
        My - not well initiated - son found such a discussion online last week and asked me what I thought about that one.  I pointed him to some places that at least had something to sink his teethe into.

        Vaguenesses also abound:
        " 'Some present day Native American tribes still recite the legends...' "  "SOME"?  Which ones?  In what accounts? "recite the legends"?  Are they legends, or are they passed down by the tribal "talkers" (or whatever they are called)?  Those accounts are much more than legends; they are memorized and vetted over long periods before the next such person is allowed to hold the position.  If this guy is sloppy with his words (which I think is the case on this one), how careful is his "research"?

        "Others, like the Aztecs and Mayans recorded their encounters with a race of giants to the north when they ventured out on expeditions."  HUH?  When?  In what records?  In what areas?  What expeditions?

        The earliest Western explorers who wrote about the giants of North America included Magellan, Sir Francis Drake, Spanish explorer Desoto, and Commodore Byron...   Okay, tell us, please: Which writings?  All those explorers covered a lot of ground, over many years.  Is he leaving it up to us to go search the entire world to find out where he got these 'facts'?

        --
        I hope that I, myself, when writing, clearly spell out what is my own thinking from what is consistent with the record of the past and present.  I am certainly not 100% on doing so, but I do try - and I invite others to both inquire for sources and challenge my non-sourced assertions.

        This kind of Op-Ed piece is exactly WHY scientists laugh at alternate "researchers" - many of whom only go by what they find on the internet and use no discernment and don't give readers a clue where facts as asserted are coming from.  Any sober researcher gives others the wherewithal to follow in his footsteps, so that they can replicate his journey through the evidence.  Not giving such clues, this kind of article is like ones about Templars, Atlantis, Father Saunier, etc. - It looks like evidence, but is it?

        The subject is just now becoming popular online.  The longer it hangs around online and gets this kind of treatment, the longer any serious discussion will be rendered impossible, making the subject a silly season tin-foil hat topic - and it deserves better.

        Steve Garcia