Re: Underwater Ruins in Northwest Wisconsin?

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 29, 2007
      Herb, Pam, Steve, All,

      Regardless of whether there was movement of massive amounts of
      glacial ice, the weight of polar ice and lowering then rising of sea
      levels in and around what we call the Great Lakes and tributaries to
      and from would still presumably be a factor.

      I have read/heard little mention of Lake Agassiz, and if anyone at
      this site has studied the phenomenom, it might be of much interest to
      the group.

      UW Madison Dr. James Scherz speaks often of past and continuing
      isostatic rebound of the Great Lakes affecting the surrounding
      waterways. See previous article Pondering the possibility of an
      ancient (possibly very ancient) road, I am looking for reason(s) why
      this structure, if of human construction, could still be underwater.
      See Post #82; halfway down I had inserted verbatum, with Dr. Scherz
      permission, part of his paper on ""Old Water Levels & Waterways
      During the Ancient Copper Mining Era (about 3000 BC to 1000 BC)".
      This would pertain to a period up to 5000 years ago, yet Dr. Scherz
      and many here are open to the possiblities of another, far earlier
      global copper/metals trade in the region.

      I lived in Superior and Fargo-Moorhead for short times a few decades
      ago--prior to my interest in such things as now takes much of my time-
      -so paid little heed to the waterways or terraine there. Please
      excuse this post if it is very elementary to others here.

      Regardless whether there was glacial movement or not, the weight and
      continuing melt of subsurface polar ice would still affect that area
      of the northern and western Great Lakes and tributaries. I don't
      know if these areas are where your particular lake is, Herb, but I am
      listing two articles I found interesting:

      http://www.und.edu/instruct/eng/fkarner/pages/rebound.htm

      "Earthscapes: The Red River Valley-Tilted Shorelines and Rebounding
      Lake Beds" (Don McCollar)
      ________________
      and from:
      http://homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~chinwu/GLE401/web/Bruce/caseone.html

      scroll down to see examples of variance in drift, sedimentation, etc.
      in an area which I recall was great trout fishing, in NW Wisconsin:

      ..."Today, dominant northwest longshore drift of from the Bad and
      Kakagon Rivers continues to feed Long Island and Chequamegon Point.
      The sediment is predominantly sand with small amounts of gravel,
      probably of glacial origin. While there is one area of erosion about
      3 km from its lakeward tip, Long Island is prograding at a rate of
      1.1 meters per year, and a series of east-west beach ridges and bog-
      filled swales are relics of previous shoreline locations. Over the
      last 200 years, Long Island has experienced periods of detachment to
      Chequamegon Point, but it eventually reestablishes its connection to
      the mainland. It is currently joined with Chequamegon Point (Bona,
      1990)."
      ___________
      Herb, It would be terrific if you could bring the photos and other
      research material you wish to share to the Ohio AAAPF conference this
      October. Pam is one of the persons helping put on this conference, I
      and other AWS members will be attending. For more information, here
      is web link and access to registration info at that site:

      http://www.aaapf.org/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=37

      Per my inquiry about Little Miami-Ft. Ancient rustic campgrounds
      prior to the conference, William Smith just emailed back that Ft.
      Ancient is about seven miles from Ft. Ancient, and he will send addl
      info later.

      Susan

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "herbswoods"
      <herbswoods@...> wrote:

      > Hi Pam,
      >
      > I'm not sure yet what I'll do with these photos. They're too good
      not
      > to do something with them. The stones are water-worn but perfectly
      > fitted together similar to an ancient Roman road. But why
      underwater?

      > --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Pam Giese"
      > <giese@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Sounds interesting ---Can you post the pictures?
      > >
      > > Pam
      Northwest

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 16, 2007
        Herb,

        As Pam mentioned last month, and you suggested, I and others here are
        hoping you will post photos of the NW Wisconsin underwater paved
        stones--natural or not.

        You are quite a photographer, as I note in your web sites, a couple
        of which I shall list here. Not listed here, I also see three new
        sites for 2007 on your At the Creation page:

        The Totagotic River:
        The http://www.atthecreation.com/TOGATIG/TOGA.html

        Wisconsin's Ancient Copper Mines:
        http://www.atthecreation.com/wis.anc/%20cu.mines.html

        Otherwise, if we don't hear futher from you, curiosity might get the
        best of at least one here who could end up plunging into the Wild
        Totogotic for a look-see.

        Susan

        <giese@...> wrote:

        > Sounds interesting ---Can you post the pictures?
        >
        > Pam

      • herbswoods
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 17, 2007
          Hi Susan,

          I do plan to post a photo of the underwater stone "highway" that I
          discovered and photographed this summer in NW Wis. But as my previous
          post tells, I just got back from a another trip of discovery and have
          lots to do. But I will post a photo on my website to obtain input and
          opinions from you and other members.

          Herb

          --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Susan"