Chauvet Cave

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2012
      I lost a letter that didn't get posted to this siteb last wee and did not even realize it until today.  i cannot recall most it, but no big loss.  i did find Posts #3229 & 3236 (Cal and Ted) informative and helpful.
      Also heard from former AWS  member Ross Hamilton on Facebook...i had been hoping to join a large three day gathering  for a special Solstice celebration at the Great Serpent Mound in S. Ohio where Ross and Leslie have been so directly involved on-site so many years.  it was that weekend  my entire out of state family selected to celebrate Christmas ---- here.  As it turned out, the 12/21/12 weekend superstorm that hit the Midwest and especially S. Ohio, the Weather Channel fittingly tagged "Winter Storm  Draco---A Dragon of a Blizzard'.  I am glad not to have been in the presence of either Draco.  Nor attending a 12-12-12 birthday party at the Tulum ruins in the Yucatan Peninsula that I had signed up for two years ago in Cancun,  at a healthier stage  of my life.

      Also received  a reply from Ross's FB friend, James Vierira also mentioning that he had already been aware of our Ancient Waterways Society web group.

      This evening upon return from work, turned on the TV, and hoped some of you who have already seen the 2011 History Channel program on the Chauvet Cave paintings (Southern France); or caught tonight's replay. The following trailer video of  "Cave of Forgotten Dreams" shows some of the magnificent paleolithic paintings of horses and other animals.  A  few appear designed to depict movement (early moving pictures!) .  i am thinking maybe enhanced from the flickering of fire or progression of sun/daylight when the cave entranceway was still open to the outside.

      http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=kULwsoCEd3g&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DkULwsoCEd3g

      Ted, because of your long interest in petroglyphs, cave art, preservation of ancient sacred sites, and  that you have posted so many of your personal drawings to this dite, I have a book to give you, if you fo not already have ut.    I picked it up years ago at the Wausau Public Library's discard book sale. "A Search for Cave and Canyon Art--VOICES FROM THE STONE AGE" (1974) seems right up your alley.  The well illustrated book was written two decades before the discovery of the  aforementioned Chauvet Cave art in France.   I can meet you halfway between where you live in Iowa and I in C. Wisconsin, such as at Frank's Hill which I know you drive up to attend the Spring Equinox celebration. i've never attended but wiukd make great effort to do so if you do. Otherwise, I can send the book and a couple of little things for you and your wife Nancy, who underwent the same  surgery, treatment and recovery as I, and bestowed many helpful kindnesses to me.

      Personal thanks to all of you who put time, your talents and wisdom into posts to this group, even if infrequently.  This group progresses because of obvious mutual respect and exchanges by you assisting and thinking like co-hosts.

       Happy New Year to members and to the many onlookers following posts here.

      Susan English -- sent from my iPad
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 30, 2012
        Forgot to sent the link to your book, Ted.  Looks like it is wirth only thirty - seven cents plus postage (used) from Amazon.   :(

        http://www.amazon.com/Voices-stone-age-search-canyon/dp/0690005741

        I meant  to extend my appreciation to Steve Garcia respectfully for your second post #3240.  It is good to hear from you, even infrequently,  especially since your retirement? and/or relocation down into Mexico.  Keep us updated as to yourvwhereabouts and insights as you travel ancient, intercontinental waterways there...

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 9 3:37 PM
          A treat for people interested in history and art.

          The Smithsonian's April issue features one of my favorite caves with
          some very ancient art around 30,000 years old, give or take a few.

          it was discovered not to long ago and had been closed by a landslide
          around 29,000 years ago and sealed off. It preserved the artwork
          contained inside and is about twice the age of the other very famous
          cave called Lascaux. Following the that example, a complete cave
          was built using the latest scanning techniques so people can visit the
          cave without hurting its delicate environment. A true work of art is
          the
          reproduction, with many to thank.

          ted

          http://www.france.fr/en/art-and-culture/chauvet-pont-darc-cave-replica-site-open-public-end-2014.html