Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Petroglyph thefts near Bishop, California

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 14, 2012
      I was quite frightened to see this incident when it hit the news. It struck quite close to the same arena of petroglyphs as The Equinox Project site. The type of petroglyphs and site descriptions so closely matched the one I am familiar with in CA, that it was feared "our" site had been hit...

      >   http://equinox-project.com   <

      The Equinox Project was founded by Roderick L. Schmidt, anthropologist. He has passed away in an accidental home fire last April (2012). The website has been maintained by his family and moved to Google network. The website must now be read with a grain of salt in a few places, as statements Rod made are now quite passe and incorrect. [Especially those that disparaged our (now) good allies The Epigraphic Society and dear friend Donal Buchannan.] Rod was the only one with the encripted codes to change the pages, and some of his naive commentary still haunts my efforts at reconciliation between the world and TEP.  Sorry to any readers who might take issue with some of the details at the website. We either take the whole thing down (which has a great deal of fantastic information yet) or we live with the dated errors and account for them.

      TEP had a mission to bring public awareness to the ground-site as a place of global, cultural diffusion, celestial observation and other mathematical calculations based on astronomy. Assumptions are that because of several figures of ships are found there, that the work was seeking accuracy for navigation, aside from the usual astrological/religious purposes that always accompanied such a functioning enclave.

      There is no longer any overt activism being undertaken by TEP at this time other than the static presence of this website http://equinox-project.com. TEP does not have current status as a listed non-profit org. We have no place to record donations or use them responsibly. Rod's eldest daughter has also completed masters degree at University and hopes to continue her Dad's work at a later date, not too far in the future (as a dedicated, avocational pursuit).

      During the years of operation, my position was as the "Co-Director" and in charge of basic PR duties/ e-mail responses. Now, the Schmidt family has kindly allowed me to continue association with the website as a volunteer "experienced adviser" to catch the e-mails that still do come in with questions about the archaeological site, epigraphical interpretation, ancient global diffusion, mysterious OOPA or rock-art in general.

      I am in a virtual position of contact via the internet, and not physically close to the original TEP site in CA. There are friends and family of Rod's (and other former TEP members) who continue to 'drop in' periodically to the petroglyph site to assure its security and keep a protective eye. But this bit of news of the last few weeks had us worried. The vandalized site has been identified as quite a bit further away from the one TEP was documenting. Hopefully the culprits will now be laying low and ceasing their activities. Their modus-operandi has us a bit worried, in that if one such place was found by nefarious opportunists, ours might also still be in danger.

      - (Ms.) Chris Patenaude
      Minnesota, USA