Iron smelting in Ohio

  • kbs2244
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 18, 2012
      There is some evidence of "prehistoric" (meaning before the white man) iron smelting in Ohio.
      Since the Indians occupying the area at the time of the white man invasion knew nothing about how to make metal from ore it seems somewhat obvious that someone before them did.

      https://sites.google.com/site/americasmysteriousfurnaces/

      http://ironageamerica.blogspot.com/#!

      http://www.daysknob.com/Iron.htm

      http://www.archaeologyfieldwork.com/AFW/Message/Topic/3189/Discussion/update-possible-prehistoric-iron-smelting-in-ohio
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 19, 2012
        A group of Europeans in about 50 BC seem to have arrived on American shores with metal working knowledge. The evidence that supports this is shakey, however it is best described in the Book of Mormon. Other support for this is the copper points and metal artifacts found at the bottom of the mounds at Ft. Ancient, Ohio. Some of these items are in the Ohio State archives and identified as mushroons by the archaeoligest. (flat circular disk with a bronze rod through its center)
        The oldest dated village where mounds and other items of food storage seems to be located is at Poverty Point La. Their is a lot of data and artifacts that indicate the 98% pure copper in northern Mich. found its way to Europe 3000 years ago.

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "kbs2244" <kbs2244@...> wrote:

        > There is some evidence of "prehistoric" (meaning before the white man) iron smelting in Ohio.
        > Since the Indians occupying the area at the time of the white man invasion knew nothing about how to make metal from ore it seems somewhat obvious that someone before them did.
        >
        > https://sites.google.com/site/americasmysteriousfurnaces/
        >
        > http://ironageamerica.blogspot.com/#!
        >
        > http://www.daysknob.com/Iron.htm
        >
        > http://www.archaeologyfieldwork.com/AFW/Message/Topic/3189/Discussion/update-possible-prehistoric-iron-smelting-in-ohio

      • William Conner
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 19, 2012
          William Smith:

          Yes I also wish you had a camera with you when you found that rock pile.   I have found  small amounts of bog ore at Spruce Hill in southwestern Ross County, Ohio. This is discussed in detail in my book "Iron Age America: Before Columbus."   Buy a copy online, read about Spruce Hill and its evidence of prehistoric furnaces.  Your ridge may well be another example of a site with one or more hilltop furnaces.   I also have an "Iron Age America" bog with some color photos.

          William Conner

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 19, 2012
            William Conner
              I have read much of your great work. I was most impressed when you found the casting of the ax. I think you and Wayne May were going to look at a stone structure on my farm in Adams county about 6 years ago. I am sure you have seen the 500 lb. large stone which is called the Ohio Rock. Some say it was a mold for hammer fusing copper inside to fabricate a large sun dial. I have found metal artifacts near the site, however most seem to be late 1800s and related to early farming in this area. One piece looks like the vertical portion of a treasure chest strap. I had a lab in Cinn. look at it and the report indicated it dates to at least 100 years old because of the large size of the carbon molicules. They also stated it may be over 500 years old because most iron over 100 years old has large carbon molicules and it is almost impossable to date iron older than 100 years.
              The farm is on the very south end of the Hopewell road near the three islands in the Ohio at Manchester. This road goes in a straight line from Manchester to Chillacothie and then on to Newark. A total of 100 miles. Brad Lepper wrote the book about the Hopewell Road. After he wrote his book I sent him an email about how the short leg Bison used to migrate from Kentucky into Ohio. The early indians would contain these bison in the hopewell road with 2 ft. walls on each side. Many spear points the size used in atalads can and have been found on this road. I call it the killing field. Excuse the spelling and hope to see you at one of your talks in the area.
            William