Azores

  • kbs2244
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 16, 2012
      Since we have gotten off track and onto Columbus………..
      It is true that he favored the Portuguese .
      He had made trips into the North Atlantic around Iceland and Greenland for Henry the Navigator.
      I believe he got north of the Artic Circle.

      He first attempted to get Henry's backing for his westward trip.
      But in perhaps the worst case of bad timing in Western History, the day of his appointment to see the King was the day that the expedition that went around the Cape of Good Hope sailed back into port.

      Just a little bit of excitement in town.

      Poor Columbus was lost in the news that we can get to the spices by going around Africa.
      With his appointment canceled, he had to go to the competition in Madrid.
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 16, 2012
        Henry the navigator was born in 1394 and died in 1460, He was the highest in command of the Knights of Christ. Christopher Columbus was born in 1451 and died in 1506.
        Are you saying that Christopher was only 9 years old when he was sailing for Henry?
        I have not read where Christopher ever attended the school of navigation which was founded by Henry. I have read where Henry made trips in his younger years to Arabia where he gathered much sailing knowledge related to navigation. The Caravel ship design which allowed sailing into the wind, the design of fish traps to catch cod at high tide, the lodestone compass which allowed reading longitude position by measuring magnetic declination.
        Evidence of this type of navigation is available in the USA, including the first maps that showed longitude markings and the compass rose were from Portugal.
        If this information is off track and not the subject of this web site I need an explanation?