Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Azores

  • C TRAYLOR
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 15, 2012
      Columbus as a Child worked in a map room, or store, or cartographer shop or ... Is that right?

      --
           Cal

      This message is in English, thank our veterans

      for keeping the front lines .... over there.

    • william smith
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 15, 2012
        Hi Cal
          I am not sure of Columbus early activities. I have heard that he was saved at sea by Portuguese fisherman in his early life. I also heard he was rejected by Queen Isabelle on his first attempt to get funding for his first voyage. He then went to a bar and received a map from Michael Cort real that showed the eastern shore of the USA and the cod fish. When he showed this to the queen she supported his voyage.
          It has been speculated that as a young man he spent a lot of time hearing the stories of the returning cod fishermen. As fisherman they were relunctent to tell and show where they were fishing. We may better understand the explorers to the new world before Columbus if we understood the when, where, why and what he received from his menters.
        Where did he get a compass?
        Why did he keep log books?
        Where did he learn about the round earth?
        Who did he associate with?
        What school of navigation did he go to?
        Why did he live near the same city in Portugal as the Cort reals?
        Was the name of his Portuguese child hood city (Altamora)?
        Was Altamora the home town of Josh Cort real 20 years before Columbus?
        Why could he not hold a crew together more than one voyage at a time?
           I know Dr. DaSilvas wife worked with him in his last book (Christopher Columbus was Portuguese) and a lot of research material has been gathered. If she shares this information we may be able to answer many questions that seem to cast light on the real Columbus.
        William

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 15, 2012
          Reply to William Smith, re. Columbus:

          I have a copy of the 1942 book about Columbus "Admiral of the Ocean Sea" by admiral Samuel E. Morrison.  The book covers the life of Columbus as well as any other I've ever read.  Years ago I had another copy and sold it to a dealer for $50.  My asking price for my remaining copy is $200.   You could get answers to your question from this book.  No doubt some libraries have a copy of this book you could check out to read.  You will find that if you read this book, many of your questions will be answered.

          William Conner,
          Columbus, OH

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 16, 2012
            Hi Bill
              Thanks for the info and offer for a book about Columbus. I am not to interested in Columbus history because he never set foot on USA mainland in his 4 voyages. Many trips were made from Europe to America before Columbus.

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 16, 2012
              Since we have gotten off track and onto Columbus………..
              It is true that he favored the Portuguese .
              He had made trips into the North Atlantic around Iceland and Greenland for Henry the Navigator.
              I believe he got north of the Artic Circle.

              He first attempted to get Henry's backing for his westward trip.
              But in perhaps the worst case of bad timing in Western History, the day of his appointment to see the King was the day that the expedition that went around the Cape of Good Hope sailed back into port.

              Just a little bit of excitement in town.

              Poor Columbus was lost in the news that we can get to the spices by going around Africa.
              With his appointment canceled, he had to go to the competition in Madrid.
            • Bill
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 16, 2012
                Henry the navigator was born in 1394 and died in 1460, He was the highest in command of the Knights of Christ. Christopher Columbus was born in 1451 and died in 1506.
                Are you saying that Christopher was only 9 years old when he was sailing for Henry?
                I have not read where Christopher ever attended the school of navigation which was founded by Henry. I have read where Henry made trips in his younger years to Arabia where he gathered much sailing knowledge related to navigation. The Caravel ship design which allowed sailing into the wind, the design of fish traps to catch cod at high tide, the lodestone compass which allowed reading longitude position by measuring magnetic declination.
                Evidence of this type of navigation is available in the USA, including the first maps that showed longitude markings and the compass rose were from Portugal.
                If this information is off track and not the subject of this web site I need an explanation?