Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Azores

  • william smith
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 15, 2012
      A very good point. Many books can and have been published about the falce information we were not given in school. Much of this is being corrected, however it takes a long time for wounds to heal.
        Columbus was Portuguese - Proven with DNA and other work by the late Dr. DaSilva. Columbus had to keep two sets of log books. One for the Spanish and Queen Isabelle and one for the Portuguese crew of two of his ships in order for the Portuguese to not mutny. Had they not saw a land bird a few days before land the Portuguese would have aborted Mr Columbus and turned their ships toward the north west to the cod fishing waters and land they had mapped. Columbus so called sailed to the west to find China. He was 940 miles south of his latitude when he saw land. He never found the USA mainland in his 4 voyages. I think this was because the Portuguese refused to sail with him after his first voyage. His second voyage had a cartographor (Ponce DeLeon) who made maps but did not continue with Christopher in his later voyages.
        In talking to the late DaSilva, most of the truth is hidden in Rome. (Vatigan). It may come out one day just like the current investigation of our CIA and the scrambling of its leaders. I will bet you the truth will only be known when the rats are gone.

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 15, 2012
        Columbus as a Child worked in a map room, or store, or cartographer shop or ... Is that right?

        --
             Cal

        This message is in English, thank our veterans

        for keeping the front lines .... over there.

      • william smith
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 15, 2012
          Hi Cal
            I am not sure of Columbus early activities. I have heard that he was saved at sea by Portuguese fisherman in his early life. I also heard he was rejected by Queen Isabelle on his first attempt to get funding for his first voyage. He then went to a bar and received a map from Michael Cort real that showed the eastern shore of the USA and the cod fish. When he showed this to the queen she supported his voyage.
            It has been speculated that as a young man he spent a lot of time hearing the stories of the returning cod fishermen. As fisherman they were relunctent to tell and show where they were fishing. We may better understand the explorers to the new world before Columbus if we understood the when, where, why and what he received from his menters.
          Where did he get a compass?
          Why did he keep log books?
          Where did he learn about the round earth?
          Who did he associate with?
          What school of navigation did he go to?
          Why did he live near the same city in Portugal as the Cort reals?
          Was the name of his Portuguese child hood city (Altamora)?
          Was Altamora the home town of Josh Cort real 20 years before Columbus?
          Why could he not hold a crew together more than one voyage at a time?
             I know Dr. DaSilvas wife worked with him in his last book (Christopher Columbus was Portuguese) and a lot of research material has been gathered. If she shares this information we may be able to answer many questions that seem to cast light on the real Columbus.
          William

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 15, 2012
            Reply to William Smith, re. Columbus:

            I have a copy of the 1942 book about Columbus "Admiral of the Ocean Sea" by admiral Samuel E. Morrison.  The book covers the life of Columbus as well as any other I've ever read.  Years ago I had another copy and sold it to a dealer for $50.  My asking price for my remaining copy is $200.   You could get answers to your question from this book.  No doubt some libraries have a copy of this book you could check out to read.  You will find that if you read this book, many of your questions will be answered.

            William Conner,
            Columbus, OH

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 16, 2012
              Hi Bill
                Thanks for the info and offer for a book about Columbus. I am not to interested in Columbus history because he never set foot on USA mainland in his 4 voyages. Many trips were made from Europe to America before Columbus.

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 16, 2012
                Since we have gotten off track and onto Columbus………..
                It is true that he favored the Portuguese .
                He had made trips into the North Atlantic around Iceland and Greenland for Henry the Navigator.
                I believe he got north of the Artic Circle.

                He first attempted to get Henry's backing for his westward trip.
                But in perhaps the worst case of bad timing in Western History, the day of his appointment to see the King was the day that the expedition that went around the Cape of Good Hope sailed back into port.

                Just a little bit of excitement in town.

                Poor Columbus was lost in the news that we can get to the spices by going around Africa.
                With his appointment canceled, he had to go to the competition in Madrid.
              • Bill
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 16, 2012
                  Henry the navigator was born in 1394 and died in 1460, He was the highest in command of the Knights of Christ. Christopher Columbus was born in 1451 and died in 1506.
                  Are you saying that Christopher was only 9 years old when he was sailing for Henry?
                  I have not read where Christopher ever attended the school of navigation which was founded by Henry. I have read where Henry made trips in his younger years to Arabia where he gathered much sailing knowledge related to navigation. The Caravel ship design which allowed sailing into the wind, the design of fish traps to catch cod at high tide, the lodestone compass which allowed reading longitude position by measuring magnetic declination.
                  Evidence of this type of navigation is available in the USA, including the first maps that showed longitude markings and the compass rose were from Portugal.
                  If this information is off track and not the subject of this web site I need an explanation?