Fwd: [ancient_waterways_society] Re:Veterans Day

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2012
      Sorry for seeing and spelling errors in the previous post. Grammar help from the spell checker.
      ted

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Ted Sojka <tedsojka@...>
      Date: November 11, 2012 9:20:55 PM CST
      Subject: [ancient_waterways_society] Re:Veterans Day

      Thanks for all who kept up on this "site", as my sight has not been OK since my recent cataract surgery.  I have not been able to see well enough to  spend time on the computer and cover the site, and really, why quibble about such small things?

      Thanks to Cal for recogignizing 11/11 and our veterans, and I hope the VA can help all of those recent returning vets who need the help of all of us.  Eleventh hour, eleventh day, the eleventh month, for those not old enough to remember the first world war.  I have many fond memories of a survivor ot the Sommes, named Jack Slattery, who was a shell shock victim.  For those who could not get a veterans home bed, Mr. Slattery was literally farmed out to an upstate couples home outside the city he grew up in. An elderly couple took him in, as they had lost a son in the war to end wars.    He did jobs like collect eggs, clean the coop, and whatever else he could handle.  He was a gentle man, but couid no longer speak at all and his hands shook terribly.  How he was ever able to pick up an egg was a mystery to me.  I was less than ten in those days, but I knew what a sacrifice this fellow made when he was 18, for the country, and us.

      My respects to all who served whenever, wherever, and wish they had a cure for the old doughboy when he returned home.  I heard a story about a friends brother the other day, who was in Lebannon when the barracks exploded.   He has serious PTSD, in an engagement that many have forgotten.   He was on a destroyer off shore that had nuclear armament, and was the man on the button.   Do something for a vet tomorrow in what ever way you think proper.

      ted

      On Nov 11, 2012, at 6:44 PM, C TRAYLOR wrote:

      --
      OK Mueler ... I appreciate your generosity. Thank you.  Cal

      This message is in English, thank our veterans

      for keeping the front lines .... over there.