Re: Call for Papers -International Symposium on Chert and Other Knappable Materials

  • james m clark jr
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2012
      From: Geoarchaeology topics [mailto:GARCH-L@...] On Behalf Of
      valdegru@...

      FIFTH ARHEOINVEST SYMPOSIUM

      `Stories Written in Stone'

      International Symposium on Chert and Other Knappable Materials

      <http://arheoinvestsymposium.uaic.ro/stone>
      http://arheoinvestsymposium.uaic.ro/stone

      Greetings!

      The organisers of the International Symposium on Chert and other Knappable
      Materials are now accepting presentation abstracts. Abstracts should be
      around 200–300 words. They may also contain one image. Please include also
      the following information: (1) title; (2) presenter(s) and affiliated
      institutions of each; (3) preferred session (see the `Sessions' page); and
      (4) presentation type — oral or poster. Abstracts should be sent to Otis
      Crandell at otis.crandell@.... All papers will be evaluated by the
      Scientific Committee. The deadline for submitting abstracts is 1 February
      2013.

      The symposium will cover all aspects of knapped stone raw materials from
      geological origin, to mining, usage, and laboratory analyses on these
      materials. Although we expect that there will be more focus on chert and
      other microcrystalline quartz varieties, we also encourage presentations
      related to other knappable materials such as obsidian, quartzite, and
      rhyolite. Papers will be accepted on any culture or time period. Whether you
      are a field archaeologist, laboratory researcher, ethnographer or a modern
      day knapper yourself, come tell your stories.

      A copy of the call for papers announcement is attached to this email. Please
      post a copy of it to your faculty bulletin board, or forward this email
      along to anyone you think might be interested in the symposium. For more
      information, please visit the symposium website (
      <http://arheoinvestsymposium.uaic.ro/stone>
      http://arheoinvestsymposium.uaic.ro/
      <http://arheoinvestsymposium.uaic.ro/stone> stone), or contact Otis Crandell
      (otis.crandell@...) or Vasile Cotiuga (vasicot@...).

      We hope to see you in Iasi next summer.

      Regards,

      Vasile Cotiuga
      (Head of the Planning Committee)

      Otis Crandell
      (Head of the Scientific Committee)

      Print-quality poster (A3)

      <http://arheoinvestsymposium.uaic.ro/august_2013/5th_Arheoinvest_Symposium_-
      _International_Symposium_on_Chert_and_other_Knappable_Materials_-_A3_poster.
      tif>
      http://arheoinvestsymposium.uaic.ro/august_2013/5th_Arheoinvest_Symposium_-_
      International_Symposium_on_Chert_and_other_Knappable_Materials_-_A3_poster.t
      if

      First announcement:

      <http://arheoinvestsymposium.uaic.ro/august_2013/International_Symposium_on_
      Chert_and_other_Knappable_Materials_-_1st_Announcement.pdf>
      http://arheoinvestsymposium.uaic.ro/august_2013/International_Symposium_on_C
      hert_and_other_Knappable_Materials_-_1st_Announcement.pdf

      Call for papers:

      <http://arheoinvestsymposium.uaic.ro/august_2013/5th_Arheoinvest_Symposium_-
      _International_Symposium_on_Chert_and_other_Knappable_Materials_-_Call_for_p
      apers.pdf>