Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Ancient shortest route between Lake Superior & Lake Michigan

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27, 2012
      Very interesting report on these earthwork sites.
      On Sep 26, 2012, at 11:32 PM, Susan wrote:

      All,
      Last week I attended and set up a vendor table at the three day AAPS conference in Marquette, Michigan.  I heard
      from many that it was as fine a conference as any previously attended, and I agree.  Am pondering the idea of
      joining friends fom Chicago and Minnesota and assisting with excavation for two weeks at the Bosnian Pyramid
      next September.  If I can find some private duty nursing or other special projects to set aside for air fare.

      Anyway, en route home from Marquette I was in no hurry to go home so drove to an unfamiliar area that
      was once navigatable, now the shortest portage  between Lake Superior and Lake Michigan.  It is also the home of
      two Ojibwa cousins whose powerful talks very fittingly closed the conference Sunday noon.  Next month I am  invited
      to attend talking circle gatherings within a magnificant long house and sweat lodge at the home of one of these new
       Ojibway friends.  It will be a special place to take AWS member Martin Carriere and his son when they come down
      to the Western Great Lakes area to visit some cousins they have in that region and Green Bay, Wisconsin.

      (Hopefully) below is page 23 of a 25-page report that AAPS secretary Judy Johnson put together and it includes
      photos of this significant ancient route between the two Great Lakes at Au Train in the north and Bay du Noc in
      ake Michigan.   The full report can also be accessed via Judy's Forest Lake Circle Mounds Slideshare link.  This
      is an area near Judy's home near Skandia, Michigan and also Rapid River, Michigan where the Ojibwa
      leaders reside:

      We were unable to load the slide.
      We were unable to load the slide.

      Forest Lake Circle Mounds

      from JudyMJohnson856 views,Slide: 23 of 25

      http://www.slideshare.net/JudyMJohnson/forest-lake-circle-mounds