Fwd: hello

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2012
      Looks like there is plenty to share regarding the idea of ancient travel.  You do know that some of the highways were also waterways, and I hope you can write about the old trails that came together near Muscatine.  At some point you cross a river, and these places were well used, year after year, and in some cases for centuries.   We who use bridges don't appreciate a ford in a river with a rocky bottom or even a layer of limestone under the water, making it shallow and easy to cross.

      Send the link to the Lahontan's information.
      ted

      Begin forwarded message:

      Date: September 25, 2012 2:42:43 PM CDT
      To: Ted Sojka <tedsojka@...>
      Subject: Re: hello

      Hi Ted,

      Are you talking about the path of the travellers from Lahontan's exploration. I just read an account, or interpretation, of his expedition. There was an east-west trail from Detroit to Santa Fe that I've been studying for the past few years. It goes right through Muscatine County. I've only studied it to Des Moines where it runs into the Dragoon Trace and heads southwest to the Kansas City area. The trail goes west from Des Moines but I haven't looked at it past Des Moines.

      Do you have an interest in the old trails? Muscatine was at the junction of three big trails and the Mississippi.

      What are your interests?

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      Rick