Re: hello

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2012
      The only one I am familiar with is the one from Prairie du Chien to
      Pipestone MN and points west. Some maps of it have it crossing
      Allamakee and Winneshiek Counties and on to the plains of Minnesota
      along its border from Iowa. There was a trace there like there was in
      Natchez.

      Fred Bierman was a house or senate member in Iowa from this area years
      ago. There is a fountain in his honor in front of the City Hall in
      Decorah. Good to hear from you and I wish there was a web site of
      maps of early Iowa which included all the trails that led across the
      state. Keokuk drew a map in the early 1800's for a military officer,
      that showed all the rivers in Iowa. It is amazingly accurate, for no
      GPS or conventional surveying.

      There is special event at Fort Atkinson Iowa, the last weekend in
      September. It features many native and buckskinner frontier skills.
      This year's topic is the neutral zone, which was a line from Northeast
      to Southwest on each side of the Oneota or Upper Iowa River. It was
      established first to keep warring tribes apart after the War of 1812.
      It then was filled with Ho Chunk first nation people when they were
      displaced from Wisconsin after the Black Hawk War.

      It is a great event to experience history of the frontier after 1832.

      ted.
      On Sep 25, 2012, at 2:42 PM, richard_bierman@... wrote:

      > Hi Ted,
      >
      > As far as I know, I'm not related to any Biermans from Decorah.
      >
      > Are you talking about the path of the travellers from Lahontan's
      > exploration. I just read an account, or interpretation, of his
      > expedition. There was an east-west trail from Detroit to Santa Fe
      > that I've been studying for the past few years. It goes right
      > through Muscatine County. I've only studied it to Des Moines where
      > it runs into the Dragoon Trace and heads southwest to the Kansas
      > City area. The trail goes west from Des Moines but I haven't looked
      > at it past Des Moines.
      >
      > Do you have an interest in the old trails? Muscatine was at the
      > junction of three big trails and the Mississippi.
      >
      > What are your interests?
      >
      > Thanks for getting in touch.
      >
      > Rick

    • C TRAYLOR
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 25, 2012

        Thanks ... enjoyed the read.  Far far from my area ... next to Mexican border.   Cal