Fw: hello Jeff

  • quarefremeruntgentes7@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 12 7:02 PM
      Hi, Jeff Lewin writing from Western Missoura here. To be frank, as I recently explained to Mr. Sojka, I have been pathetically ignorant of the remarkable prehistory of my local area...

      See forwarded message, below...

      Ciao,

      Jeff

      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

      From: Jeff <quarefremeruntgentes7@...>
      Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 20:25:08 -0700 (PDT)
      To: Ted Sojka<tedsojka@...>
      Subject: Re: hello Jeff

      Interestingly, I have begun to learn that nearby St. Joseph, Missouri--a city which has been home to both sides of my family for two generations--has a significant connection to Indian prehistory. Missouri folklorist Mary Alicia Owen (1850? -1935) recounted a Native tradition that identified a string of hills along the Eastern shore of the Missouri River in St. Joseph as a unique inter-tribal holy site and sanctuary. According to both Owen's Meskwaki/Sac-Fox informants, and early white explorers and settlers, St. Joseph's "Sacred Hills" were regarded by numerous tribes as a kind of gateway to the afterlife, greatly sought after by those who anticipated their imminent departure from life in this world. The Sacred Hills were also a sanctuary of refuge, where no blood could be said. Native lore associate the rays of the sun setting accross the river as the "Sun Bridge" whereby the spirits of the dead would pass on to the next world, while various trails leading to this sanctuary were known as "Ghost Trails" (source (?): Owen, Mary Alicia, Folk-lore of the
      Musquakie Indians of North America, 1904; loc. cit. Olson, Greg, Ever Towards the Setting Sun They Push Us: American Indian Identity in the Writings of Mary Alicia Owen, 2009 <https://mospace.umsystem.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/10355/9745/short.pdf>;  private DVD from Remington Nature Center, St. Joseph, Missouri <http://www.stjoenaturecenter.info>; & var.)

      Regrettably, there seems to be little relating to these traditions on the internet. One streaming program produced by the Missouri State Archives approaches the subject indirectly, through commentaries about some works of art composed in subsequent decades, which--although removed from the early Native sources by several places, and by many decade--were based on these traditions. According to the transcript:

      There's an interesting thing, too, that's going on in the clouds in this painting. And I don't know if it's light enough that you can see, but over on the right hand of the painting you'll see these [Ioway] warriors riding in the sky toward the sun and the clouds. And -- and it's called White Cloud and the Legend of the Sun Bridge. And there was another legend that was kind of attached to this plantain, this "White Man's Foot" legend that St. Joseph was seen by early White settlers.

      This is -- there was this legend built around St. Joseph and those sacred hills there, the bluffs that that was an area where Indian people of all nations came to die because it was supposedly such a sacred place, it was on the river. It was kind of that divide -- almost like the River Styx in mythology. You know it was kind of the dividing line between the living world and then the west world where other things happen.

      And so there's White Cloud and he's kind of facing the river and he's looking at his future, but also there's kind of this metaphorical thing where once he crosses that river he's going into another world. One more -- next slide, please.

      I love this painting. This is in the State Capitol. And this is Bert Phillips. And this is the Trail to the Happy Hunting Ground. And it's just a different take on that same legend. Okay? Here they're in that same location. They're in St. Joseph. They're on the banks of the river. And here we have a woman. This is right across from, I think, the State Treasurer's Office if you're looking -- if you ever go up on the second floor and look for it. But here you see a couple and the woman is looking off to the water and she’s evidently ready to leave the world.

      This is -- I guess this is her mother. Her mother's not well. There's something going on here, but the husband is saying you know, don't go. Stay here. Stay with us. You need to stay and take care of your -- your mother. But she's got a baby in her arms and so she’s ready to cross over into the next world.

      And meanwhile, these guys over on the other side are conducting some sort of a ceremony. But notice in the sky behind there's a tipi. Let me read you a quote here, this is pretty good. This is from the -- some of you might be familiar with the Capitol Commission when they decorated the Capitol... I've gotten my notes all out of order here.

      Anyway they -- here it is. They said -- this is according to the Capitol report, 1828, it said that "Phillips" Trail to the Happy Hunting Ground shows that ["]from all points of the compass the Indians journeyed thither bearing their sick and dying that their journey to the great tipi in the sun might be short and easy."

      --Greg Olson, The Ioway in Missouri, April 23, 2009
      http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/presentations/default.asp?ap=moioway
      Streaming Source:
      mms://media.sos.mo.gov/media/archives/Presentations/MoIoway.wmv
      Download Video in WMV format:
      http://media.sos.mo.govMoIoway.wmv
      Transcript:
      http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/presentations/ap_transcripts.asp?ap=moioway

      Bracketed text by Jeffrey Lewin, September 3, 2012

      Interestingly, the narrator, historian Greg Olson, was a recipient of a State of Missouri Governor's Humanities Award for his Masters Thesis, Ever Towards the Setting Sun They Push Us: American Indian Identity in the Writings of Mary Alicia Owen.

      Ironically, Sep. 2 was the first I ever heard of any of those traditions, even though my grandfather Jesse McIntosh had Native ancestry, and even though I am a Catholic, I had never learned about the alleged apparition of St. Joseph here, either, until this evening.

      Jeff Lewin

      Date: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 9:40 AM

      What part of the country are you located in?

      Here is a site along the Wisconsin River that shows aerial photos of one site on the lower part of this waterway.  There is more information if you do a search for Frank's Hill.

    • james m clark jr

        Date: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 9:40 AM