Fwd: history

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2012

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Ted Sojka <tedsojka@...>
      Date: August 24, 2012 7:01:08 PM CDT
      Subject: Re:history

      Thanks for the comments Jeff.

      At the moment, the thousands of years of native medicine practices and plants used to affect cuts, burns, bites, and diseases like diabetes,  are being wiped out by loggers, slash and burn farming, cattle farming, and other changes to the rain forest in Brazil.  Dr. Plotkin of Harvard wrote some good books on this subject.  History repeats itself.

      In a book called the "Shaman's Apprentice", they mention that no medicine man has had an apprentice in five years. The knowledge will be lost.    As civilization marches on without the wisdom to see what is the end result of some progress, we do what we did back in the 1600's on this side of the Atlantic.  Some Spanish clerics describe the effects of the Comienda system in Central America.

      I wish we could have done what President Jefferson recommended about observing and recording native practices that he asked Lewis and Clarke to record on their journey in 1804 and 5.

      I went to a park in Wisconsin called the "Natural Bridge".  Along the trail was many signs stating how many of the plants were used for food and how many were used for medicine.  There were a couple hundred of the latter and a bit less of the first category.  The plants were identified on the signs along the trail we climbed, to the top of valley to an ancient rock overhang at the crest of the valley hill.

      Overlooking the contributions of other cultures to life is something we did a lot of in the countries past.  Not to sound like Professor Zinn, there have been some great things done by our country, like defeating the axis powers and ending the tyranny of the third reich in Europe and elsewhere.  Going to the moon, the Berlin Airlift, cures for polio, but also... Wounded Knee, The son of Mattapoisett, Prince Phillip's head on a Pike in a Massachusetts town entrance, and if it was not for his father the pilgrims would have starved their first Winter.   Also the Trail of Tears for the Cherokee Nation, with many of it's people landed gentry from the Revolutionary War, with a written language, deeds to land and houses that mirrored those of other the first settlers.  So many stories it is hard to take them all in without getting discouraged in the examination of history.

      Ted Sojka
      Native Earthworks Preservation / Iowa
      On Aug 24, 2012, at 6:16 PM, quarefremeruntgentes7@... wrote:

      Hello, Mr. Sojka. I haven't gotten far with 1493, but have collected practically every free talk and interview on featuring Charles Mann on the internet and iTunes.

      This month, I finally read the Wiki pieces on the Pequots, William Apess, Metacomet, etc. Those certinly were some of the saddest stories I ever read. It is regrettable that Rhode Islanders did not follow Roger Williams' example of toleration far enough to make a more substantial accomodation for Native peoples.

      Warm Regards,

      Jeff Lewin

      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T