Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Paint Rock Photo

  • Susan English
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 22, 2012
      Ted,
      Wonderful photo and post.  Many of us have long regarded you as a co-host and you have been a very dedicated contributer here.

      Cal, thank you for your concern and frequent correspondence here.  I am not gone as a member, just not able to continue co-hosting on a regular basis.  If the group switches to a new format, i may re-join, as I am sure many others will.

      Thanks for taking over, Vince.

      M. Susan English -- sent from my iPad

      On Aug 18, 2012, at 11:20 PM, Ted Sojka <tedsojka@...> wrote:

      <30paintrock.mallam_1_2.jpg>
      Photo by Ted Sojka

      Along the Mississippi near Effigy Mounds National Monument is a place called Paint Rock.  At one time
      it had a large red circle painted on it that some say was the " Water Sprit".   The very large circle was
      visible from the River by the early steamboats going North and South.  The pilots made it a waypoint
      on their journeys on the River.

      It has been a great journey, and I thank Vince for trying to poll all the members to see if there are a few
      who would keep the site monitored to keep it going.

      Susan and Stan, I thank you also for giving me a way to share things with other with similar intersts.
      By the many thought this petroglyph to be of a steam boat, but it is a sacred animal, that the Ho Chunk
      believe might have been a representation of an ancient Mammoth skin, that was put on the ground
      when two long separated groups met at one time.  The glyph was a recording of this meeting.

      The photo is of Dr. Clark R. Mallam, and I assisted as his photographer on several of his projects.
      Through the AWS. I have met several others around the world who worked with Clark, from the
      Philippines in the West to the East coast of the US, and to Europe.  Several of those people I exchanged
      e mails with are now gone as is Clark Mallam.

      Ted

      =
    • TRAYLOROO
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 22, 2012
         Thanks Susan ....  A new format for this group is like some of the many other offers .... We have just for you this NEW AND IMPROVED THING .... JUST CLICK HERE ....

        That includes Yahoo email .... I wish they would just leave it alone.

        As one famous guru said:  If it aint broken ... dont fix it ......

        CAL

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 23, 2012
          Hi Ted I also have some older photos of R. Clark Mallam when he was working on the "Site of the Serpent "in Kansas .He was following up on Waldo Wedel's research and excavated the Serpent Intaglio in Rice county Kansas. He tested the theory about Solstice alignments at the site. I can dig a couple out if you want to see them.
          Crystal Trickle

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 23, 2012
            Thanks Wayne.  I have a local news article about that site that appeared in the campus paper at the college that Clark taught at in Decorah.

            I believe there were some photos in National Geographic as well regarding the serpent in Kansas.  There are a couple of intaglio features in Wisconsin as well.
            ted