The Maya were right. The end is coming.

  • minnesotastan@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 18, 2012
      Not the end of the world, but the end of this Yahoo! group.

      Ancient Waterways Society was formed in 2004.  Susan and I met at an Ancient Earthworks Society meeting; she had the idea of establishing this group and I knew of a method of putting the group online via Yahoo.  The little table of message postings at the bottom of the home page shows how the group was stagnant for several years (dozens of messages per year), then blossomed (dozens of messages per week).  AWS was founded to serve two basic purposes - education and communication.  It has been successful in that regard, allowing people from all over to maintain contact and share ideas.

      Maintaining this group does take a bit of effort, so Susan and I were relieved when Vince joined us as an administrator in monitoring and moderating the board.  Unfortunately, all three of us are also involved in other activities, personal and professional.  Personally, I used to visit the board several times a week, then cut back to Saturday mornings, and now find myself here perhaps once a month.  That shifts more work to Susan, who also has a life in the "real world" to lead.  And if both of us resign, Vince would be overwhelmed.  The best option seems to be to end the group.

      Ending this group is not the same as ending the interactions and education, but it does mean that such will need to occur in other venues.  Most users of this site also visit other similar groups with slightly different focuses, such as Ancient Vikings America  or Precolumbian Inscriptions .  Many users here have developed personal interactions with other users, exchanging personal emails away from this board.  New sites similar to AWS have appeared on Facebook (Ancient Earthworks , for example).

      It's time to move on.  This Yahoo! group will cease to exist at the end of this month (August 31).  Here's how to cope with the change:
      1) Harvest this website.  There is useful reference material stored in the Files  and Photos  and lots of useful Links.  Copy and save to your own media whatever interests you (experienced websurfers instinctively know this anyway).

      2) Locate, explore, and join other similar groups.  You can find some like this one by searching keywords on Yahoo.  Others are in the Files and Links.  When you find something relevant and useful, post a message on the board here directing other members to that site.

      3) Create new cybergroups.  You can establish a Yahoo group about canals or copper or mounds in half an hour.  Look at the top of this page and locate the words "Start a Group."  Click on it - it's self-explanatory and free.  I set up this group with zero computer background (English major, biology teacher).  You can do it; the hard part is finding new members, which is what Susan was especially good at.  If/when you set up a new group, write a message here and invite others to join.

      4) Get away from your desk to join actual real-life physical groups.  You can find some via their online activities, others by contacting a nearby university or museum or historical society.

      5) If there are people here you want to keep in touch with, try to set up personal contacts.  If you don't want to publicize your best personal email address, set up a temporary one at Gmail and then delete it later.
      That's all I can think of.  Those with other ideas, please leave messages.  Better get started on the list above - the clock is ticking.

      I can't embed a video here, but I can put a link to Vera Lynn singing "We'll Meet Again."
    • minnesotafun@wans.net
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 18, 2012
        So sorry to hear that this group is ending. I really enjoyed reading the posts. Everyone is welcome to join the Facebook site called Old Copper Complex and Ancient Waterways America. It would be great to have you all and if you want to start adding all of your interesting posts from the past, they would really be welcomed ! You can look at the site and the members and see if this fits with what you would enjoy. The other sites mentioned below are great sites also! :)
        Robin.

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, minnesotastan@... wrote:

> [...]
        > major, biology teacher). You can do it; the hard part is finding new
        > members, which is what Susan was especially good at. If/when you set up
        > a new group, write a message here and invite others to join.
        >
        > 4) Get away from your desk to join actual real-life physical groups.
        > You can find some via their online activities, others by contacting a
        > nearby university or museum or historical society.
        >
        > 5) If there are people here you want to keep in touch with, try to set
        > up personal contacts. If you don't want to publicize your best personal
        > email address, set up a temporary one at Gmail and then delete it later.
        > That's all I can think of. Those with other ideas, please leave
        > messages. Better get started on the list above - the clock is ticking.
        >
        > I can't embed a video here, but I can put a link to Vera Lynn singing

      • Vince
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 18, 2012
          Sorry also to hear of the other moderators decision to end this group of more than one hundred people. The files, correspondence and information contained within group files should be considered.

          I hope the moderators will consider the others views in this decision. This decision was made without my input, and so I have put together a poll at the following link:

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 18, 2012
            Dear Stan,

            Your letter and the list of five 'how to cope with the changes' are examplesof some of the thoughtful, helpful posts you have submitted periodically during the eight years we have been meeting here as a group.

            Since its beginnings here, I have acted as greeter and one of the co-hoste.
            To the group:   Each of thr management team has regularly posted here from our own perspective on ancient, global wterways.  Yet we have aspired to remain behind the scenes as much as possible to encourage self-moderation and group exchanges among this talented and diverse international membership.

            I am experiencing mild  memory difficulties (noticing that I am more repititious even than last year when I had surgery, radiation and chemo-therapy.)  Otherwise seem to be recovering well but  am also  workimg longer hours again to repay medical debt.  My family priorities and free-time  committments, too, have changed.

            I used the term Ancient Waterways Society prior to the founding of our fine YahooGroup and I---as I hope many of you here---will  continue to use the term and continue  an ancient, 'global' focus traveling ancient waterways .... whether that be by water, the Internet, conferences or other groups.

            Thank you to Stan for setting up and overseeing this wonderful  Waterways YahooGroup.  To Vince, for your input and assistance as a co-host.  And eqch of you here for sharing the wealthof your research,  experiences and many time, heartful sharings.

            Susan English, from the banks of the ancient Wisconsin River And Lake Wausau near Big Bull Falls where international kayak and canoe races are held every yesr.

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 18, 2012
              Vince,
              Stan brought up the probable closing of the group many weeks ago at this site, and I received one or two emails from him also CC'd to you at a viable email address asking if you were knterested in hosting the Ancient Waterways Society Yahoo Group.

              Neither of us received a reply from you, so I suggest if you are imterested in hosting  the group, please  let Stan, myself and the remaining members know.

              Thank you.

              Susan

              --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Vince" <v_barrows@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > major, biology teacher). You can do it; the hard part is finding new
              > > > members, which is what Susan was especially good at. If/when you set up
              > > > a new group, write a message here and invite others to join.
              > > >
              > > > 4) Get away from your desk to join actual real-life physical groups.
              > > > You can find some via their online activities, others by contacting a
              > > > nearby university or museum or historical society.
              > > >
              > > > 5) If there are people here you want to keep in touch with, try to set
              > > > up personal contacts. If you don't want to publicize your best personal
              > > > email address, set up a temporary one at Gmail and then delete it later.
              > > > That's all I can think of. Those with other ideas, please leave
              > > > messages. Better get started on the list above - the clock is ticking.
              > > >
              > > > I can't embed a video here, but I can put a link to Vera Lynn singing

            • TRAYLOROO
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 18, 2012
                  Susan, Dear, I am with you all the way.  Some folks may want the new ... and also the old us. They can flip back and forth ...

                CAL

                ===========================
                 0
                 Hearse, Historical Museum of Lawmen,
                Soon the hease should be included on this site:
                .                                                                   .

                  ca 1906  - Pat Garrett had a large manuscript, soon to publish;  one source wrote.
                Any other sources?

> [...]

                > > > major, biology teacher). You can do it; the hard part is finding new
                > > > members, which is what Susan was especially good at. If/when you set up
                > > > a new group, write a message here and invite others to join.
                > > >
                > > > 4) Get away from your desk to join actual real-life physical groups.
                > > > You can find some via their online activities, others by contacting a
                > > > nearby university or museum or historical society.
                > > >
                > > > 5) If there are people here you want to keep in touch with, try to set
                > > > up personal contacts. If you don't want to publicize your best personal
                > > > email address, set up a temporary one at Gmail and then delete it later.
                > > > That's all I can think of. Those with other ideas, please leave
                > > > messages. Better get started on the list above - the clock is ticking.
                > > >
                > > > I can't embed a video here, but I can put a link to Vera Lynn singing

              • Rachel Treichler
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 19, 2012
                  Although I am just a casual observer to the group, I have enjoyed reading the posts and making a few.

                  I am sorry to hear the group is ending.

                  What about making it easier to administer the group and not having moderated posts?

                  Rachel

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 19, 2012
                    What was wrong?  If it aint broken .... don't fix it.......

                    Susan did a great job, a great person, to be thrown out is unconscionable ....
                    Now, tell me where I am wrong,
                    CAL

                    .                                                                   .

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 20, 2012
                      Exactly. Put it on Wordpress.com as a blog, and let there be open posting and commenting.

                      This Yahoo format was all but obsolete even back when the forum started, but it seemed to suit people enough. But now all that has to be done is to start it up and let people post and comment. Without moderation.

                      Did Stan need to stop any posts or comments? I don't think so. So why moderate at all?

                      Steve Garcia
                    • TRAYLOROO
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 20, 2012
                        You make a valid point.  It appeared several times that members erased trashy ignorant postings.  To me, your idea seems logical.  Just let it roll ...

                        Is this wrong?   Cal

                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 20, 2012
                          There was always spam and porn to remove from the site,  I don't think Stan would mind if we would go on, just not on the same site.  That does take a moderator to keep the trash out from taking up space on the that type of forum.
                          ted

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 20, 2012
                            Can I alter your posting?  If it was undesirable, can I remove it or portions?

                            Below, I just goofed around .... see if it stays .

                            CAL
                            =====================================

                              ca 1906  - Pat Garrett had a large manuscript, soon to publish;  one source wrote.
                            Any other sources?

                            There was always spam and porn to remove from the site,  I don't think Stan would mind if we would go on, just not on the same site.  That does take a moderator    ========  to keep the trash out from taking up space on the that type of forum.
                            ted
                            Can I alter your posting? If it was undesirable, can I add or remove?

                             ===================================

                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 25, 2012
                              Vince, the reason I made this decision "without your input" is that I have not received any reply after trying to reach you by email via your Yahoo! email address. Perhaps it got lost in transit?

                              In any case, if you would like to remain as moderator of this ongoing group and be responsible for monitoring the board, removing spam and porn, and settling disputes among members, please just say so in a post here. I will then delete myself and the site will be yours.

                              But you have to promise to take care of the site. You can't just abandon it yourself later without vaporizing it, because in that case it would become a sad repository for detritus and reflect negatively on the original founders and participants.

                              It's your choice now.

                              Stan

                              --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Vince" <v_barrows@...> wrote:

                              > Sorry also to hear of the other moderators decision to end this group of more than one hundred people. The files, correspondence and information contained within group files should be considered.
                              >
                              > I hope the moderators will consider the others views in this decision. This decision was made without my input, and so I have put together a poll at the following link:

                            • David S Brody
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 25, 2012

                                As some of you may already know, the Eagle Scout project to build a protective cover over the Westford Knight site has been derailed by a single property owner who has filed suit to try to block the project. I have created an online petition in hopes of getting this lawsuit dropped. Please consider signing it here:

                                http://www.thepetitionsite.com/647/852/316/allow-eagle-scout-to-build-protective-cover-for-westford-knight-carving/?fb_action_ids=10151137483572372&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210151137483572372%22%3A10151198527413615%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210151137483572372%22%3A%22og.recommends%22%7D&action_ref_map

                                Thanks.

                                Dave Brody

                              • TRAYLOROO
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 25, 2012
                                   I did it.

                                   The record seems to show all agencies involved in approval ... and did approve .. subject to there being no legal issues.

                                  Also, it appears the land owner made no protest during the preliminary hearings.

                                  There is no mention of any trespass, that is not an issue.

                                  I suggest the shelter include a covert security camera ..... JUST IN CASE ....  Adequate still camera with infared light for night snaps, they are about $100, size of a big orange.

                                  CAL

                                  .                                                                   .

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 25, 2012
                                    Stan
                                    I would like to remain as moderator of this ongoing group and be responsible for monitoring the board, removing spam and porn, and settling disputes among members. Ted and I promise to take Care Of The site
                                    Thanks
                                    Vince

                                    ------------------------------
                                    On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 1:00 PM EDT minnesotastan@... wrote:

                                    >Vince, the reason I made this decision "without your input" is that I have not received any reply after trying to reach you by email via your Yahoo! email address. Perhaps it got lost in transit?
                                    >
                                    >In any case, if you would like to remain as moderator of this ongoing group and be responsible for monitoring the board, removing spam and porn, and settling disputes among members, please just say so in a post here. I will then delete myself and the site will be yours.
                                    >
                                    >But you have to promise to take care of the site. You can't just abandon it yourself later without vaporizing it, because in that case it would become a sad repository for detritus and reflect negatively on the original founders and participants.
                                    >
                                    >It's your choice now.
                                    >
                                    >Stan
                                    >

                                    >--- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Vince" <v_barrows@...> wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >> Sorry also to hear of the other moderators decision to end this group of more than one hundred people. The files, correspondence and information contained within group files should be considered.
                                    >>
                                    >> I hope the moderators will consider the others views in this decision. This decision was made without my input, and so I have put together a poll at the following link:

                                  • trayloroo
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 25, 2012
                                      I have been a member of this group since the beginning of time, or before. I object to being let up the path ..... AND THROWN OFF THE CLIFF .....

                                      Just leave it alone. See what happens.

                                      CAL

                                      ====================================

                                      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Vincent Barrows <v_barrows@...> wrote:

                                      > Stan
                                      > I would like to remain as moderator of this ongoing group and be responsible for monitoring the board, removing spam and porn, and settling disputes among members. Ted and I promise to take Care Of The site
                                      > Thanks
                                      > Vince
                                      >
                                      > ------------------------------
                                      > On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 1:00 PM EDT minnesotastan@... wrote:
                                      >
                                      > >Vince, the reason I made this decision "without your input" is that I have not received any reply after trying to reach you by email via your Yahoo! email address. Perhaps it got lost in transit?
                                      > >
                                      > >In any case, if you would like to remain as moderator of this ongoing group and be responsible for monitoring the board, removing spam and porn, and settling disputes among members, please just say so in a post here. I will then delete myself and the site will be yours.
                                      > >
                                      > >But you have to promise to take care of the site. You can't just abandon it yourself later without vaporizing it, because in that case it would become a sad repository for detritus and reflect negatively on the original founders and participants.
                                      > >
                                      > >It's your choice now.
                                      > >
                                      > >Stan
                                      > >

                                      > >--- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Vince" <v_barrows@> wrote:
                                      > >>
                                      > >> Sorry also to hear of the other moderators decision to end this group of more than one hundred people. The files, correspondence and information contained within group files should be considered.
                                      > >>
                                      > >> I hope the moderators will consider the others views in this decision. This decision was made without my input, and so I have put together a poll at the following link:

                                    • Jeff
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 27, 2012
                                        Thank you for offering to keep our group going, Mr. Barrows.

                                        I have moved on to other things, as my postings indicated, and have not been checking new messages online.

                                        Sorry to hear about the change--even if no one could keep up with the demands of ongoing moderation, it might be desirable to keep the online archive going as a resource, while declining new postings.

                                        Warm Regards,

                                        Jeff Lewin

                                        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Vincent Barrows <v_barrows@...> wrote:

                                        > Stan
                                        > I would like to remain as moderator of this ongoing group and be responsible for monitoring the board, removing spam and porn, and settling disputes among members. Ted and I promise to take Care Of The site
                                        > Thanks
                                        > Vince
                                        >
                                        > ------------------------------
                                        > On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 1:00 PM EDT minnesotastan@... wrote:
                                        >
                                        > >Vince, the reason I made this decision "without your input" is that I have not received any reply after trying to reach you by email via your Yahoo! email
                                        address.  Perhaps it got lost in transit?

                                        > >In any case, if you would like to remain as moderator of this ongoing group and be responsible for monitoring the board, removing spam and porn, and settling disputes among members, please just say so in a post here.  I will then delete myself and the site will be yours.
                                        > >
                                        > >But you have to promise to take care of the site.  You can't just abandon it yourself later without vaporizing it, because in that case it would become a sad repository for detritus and reflect negatively on the original founders and participants.
                                        > >
                                        > >It's your choice now.
                                        > >
                                        > >Stan
                                        > >

                                        > >--- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Vince" <v_barrows@> wrote:
                                        > >>
                                        > >> Sorry also to hear of the other moderators decision to end this group of more than one hundred
                                        people. The files, correspondence and information contained within group files should be considered.

                                        > >> I hope the moderators will consider the others views in this decision. This decision was made without my input, and so I have put together a poll at the following link:

                                      • james m clark jr
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 30, 2012
                                          That would be great Vince!

                                          be well,