Re: Marion Dahm, a Dear Friend

  • Pam Giese
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2006
      Dear Friends,
      I'm violating cross-post etiquette, but I'd like to share this little eulogy of a wonderful man.
      It may be that theory that there are only six degrees of separation between any two people on this planet, but I feel that Marion Dahm had probably touched all of us.  If you've read recent (past 40 years) revelations about Vikings from Oklahoma to North Dakota and through the mid-west, chances are that somewhere in the discussion was an idea that flourished in the exploration and research of Marion Dahm.  Interested in Mooring Stones as remnants of Viking travel?  Marion's research inspired many in this field.
      I first met Marion at the People's Festival in Baraga, Michigan, U.P.   During those days the festival was contained but AAAPF (Ancient American types) and the local Psychic Fair.  The majority of each group considered the other group looney:  the diffusionists referred to the channellers and aura readers as being whoo-whoos, while the psychic fair readers where amazed that the others talked about Atlantis and the "conspiracy to hit the true ancient history' as if it was fact.  Only Marion lectured to both camps --talking of mooring stones and viking inscriptions to one group and crossing over and lecturing on dowsing to the other.  Another year, during supper, Marion proclaimed that he suspected each of us of Viking heritage and as we went around the table giving our ethnic backgrounds, he pointed out the time and the place where the Viking seed was planted in us.
      There's a large stone along Hwy 23 near Genoa, Illinois that I've always suspected as a mooring stone.  I always intended to take a photo and send it to Marion.  I never got around to it.  It's so easy to just sit and study but never actually get out in the field.  Marion dedicated most of his life to the living, active pursuit of uncovering Viking mystery.  He was a wonderful, delightful man and left those who've met him a wonderful legacy.
      And if in the halls of Valhalla, Odin reserves a special place for researchers and scribes, Marion will be there,
      Pam Giese
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2006
        Your eulogy to Marion touched me so deeply...
        I sent your tribute and accompanying letters to Marion Dahm's
        daughter and granddaughter who worked so closely with Marion:

        Janna and Kristin,

        Marion spoke of you incessantly with great devotion. You honored your
        father/grandfather by being so devoted and directly involved in the
        work he so passionately adored.

        He was a wonderful man and I adored driving him around, setting up
        our tents, cooking hearty campfire meals to share with bystanders who
        soon joined in on viewing his artifacts then spent hours listening to
        his wonderful, well-humored talks. Sometimes with big crocodile tears
        he spoke of the terrible injustices that befell the family who
        discovered the Kensington Runestone. And I enjoyed being an honored
        guest in his house in Chokio the weekend of the Kensington conference
        a few years ago.

        Jana, thank you for leaving the phone message. I do not have caller
        ID so was unable to return your call. If you or Kristin would ever
        like to phone and talk about Marion's work or life, etc., I'd love to
        hear from you. My phone number, again, is: 715 845 8395 and address:
        1045 St. Austin Avenue, Wausau, WI 54403. I'd enjoy hearing, too,
        through the years, how his work has been furthered.

        I spoke with Marion not long ago...still talking about plans to scuba
        dive for a mooring stone in Norway Lake. He and Prof. Jim Scherz
        were wanting me to join them this fall on a trip to Lake Nippigon in
        Canada prior to the Big Bay, Michigan conference. Marion was
        scheduled to be one of the main speakers at that event.

        Our lives will not be the same without him. How fortunate you both,
        your family and friends were to have had him there so closely all of
        your lives. You two, in particular, I know already carry so many of
        the many wonderful traits your dad and grandfather lived with such
        passion and dedication.

        Earlier this summer I spent a month of voluntary service doing
        street nursing and gutting hurricane-damaged homes in New Orleans to
        make way for FEMA trailers or rebuilding. Thus haven't funds to
        travel nor am able to take further time off to attend Marion's
        memorial. If you find time later, please email or send me a copy of
        the funeral and farewell salute by family and friends. I shall think
        of you all especially throughout the memorial services Tuesday and
        Wednesday. Marion's friends Fred Rydholm in Michigan, writer David
        Hoffman and Ancient American Magazine publisher, Wayne May, and
        others have been on the phone today, saddened, yet recalling fond
        experiences we shared with our dear friend Marion.

        He blessed us all in his life, his research, dedication searching for
        missing children, delight in showing us how to use his dowsing rods,
        and sharing his great enthusiasm for life.

        Marion knew his good fortune in having you and your families so
        closely enmeshed in his life and work. I thank you too, for loving
        him so. And I grieve for you these coming days in your loss of that
        wondrous being.

        Below are beautifully written internet letters and correspondence
        heralding Marion......

        First letter is from Pam Giese written early this morningto fellow
        members of the thor-thehuntersohiorock ยท THOR (the hunters Ohio Rock)

        Web site founder, William Smith, Pam Giese, and several from
        the "Thor Group" of Ohio and the Central Midwest attended the Upper
        Michigan PreColumbian AAAPF conference last year. Below are letters
        of correspondence to web sites, PreColumbian groups and individuals
        all over the world tonight and early this AM.

        Second letter is from Judy Johnson, conference chairperson for the
        AAAPF Conference in Michigan who, with her husband Glen, provided
        lodging and wonderful hospitality to Marion and me on what Marion
        called a "million dollar trip" when we camped across the Western
        Upper Peninsula the week prior to the first PreColumbian Discoveries
        Symposium in Big Bay, Michigan.

        The third letter is from Marion's fellow researcher and longtime
        friend, Judy Rudibush, with whom you are well acquainted. If you
        wish, please feel free to pass these wonderful tributes on to
        others. Tonight at the Memorial service in Morris, MN I know there
        will be many friends sharing stories about our dear Marion and his
        remarkable work and life.

        I received notes yesterday, too, from Steven Hilgren, a California
        researcher whom you probably know who has been very closely working
        with Marion in his ancient Viking research. Steve is not a member of
        this Ancient Waterways Society web site but is a member of the Thor
        the Hunter group, and has written fine things about Marion at that
        web site. Steve included in his email yesterday a very recent photo
        of Marion and fellow Kensington Runestone researcher Leland Peterson
        and the last mooring stone Marion and Leland recorded. I shall ask
        Steve to sent it to the Thor group and perhaps share some of the work
        he and Marion have been doing together.

        So sorry not to be able to be of help there and join you all in
        Western Minnesota today and tomorrow. My deepest condolences and
        regard to you all,

        M. Susan English
        Wausau, WI 54403