Re: [ancient_waterways_society] "The American Discovery of Europe"

  • Pam Giese
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 14, 2007
      Hi Vince, Rick and All,

      Thanks for the links on the Barrows as star maps.  It reminds me of John Mitchell's theory that some of the North American animal effigy mound groups actually represented constellations.

      I also think there is a connection between the Barrows from Europoe and our "mounds".  When I visited Avebury Circle I was amazed that it was surrounded by a walled enclosure and an interior
      moat --just like Newark Circle.

      The Bosnian pyramid controversy reminds me of one time when I was visiting Aztalan with my mother.  We were standing on the "temple mound" and looking at the landscape.  The area is surrounded by drumlins and other hill-like glacial features.  My mother pointed to a high "hill" just a couple hundred yards away and said "You know, I wouldn't put my main temple here, I would put it there,  on the highest ground around."  And at that point we because aware of how many "natural" features maybe were not so natural afterall or that the site may have been more inclusive of its surroundings and not just limited to area within the stockade.

      Pam