comet

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 23, 2012

      Here is part of the article about the comet.   Incidentally we had the state recorder of such events in Iowa, report to our town about a small meteor strike that formed the basin of our town in the hilly part of Iowa. Yes you thought it was all flat, but this area is called the little Switzerland of the midwest, by last century "boosters".   The crater is about 2 1/2 miles wide and the normally horizontal layers of sediment, run vertically around the edge of the crater, and are more than 6000 feet deep.   There is another one bigger in Western Iowa near the town of Manson, which you can look up on line.

      The state geologist said there are also little compacted mixes of minerals that formed here that could only have been done by this force of an impact, or he has seen these out in White Sands where the practiced with those atom and hydrogen bombs.  Unless our ancestors preceded us in mutually assured destruction, a meteor caused our impact and the Manson crater as well!

      This would be another story among many of oral tradition relating to the scientific record.

      Good to hear from you.  I am hoping the heavy rain that brought a biblical flood to Duluth missed the Red River basin you live near.

      Ted
      from the link I sent this morning from the Island Packet Newspaper

      AN EXTRATERRESTRIAL CHANGE

      There is cosmic evidence that could add proof to Goodyear's theory.

      For four years, Arizona geophysicist Dr. Allen West has been working on a comet theory, which was published in the National Academy of Sciences last year.

      Topper is connected to the theory which says a comet exploded over the continent about 12,900 years ago, wiping out mammoths and mastodons, killing the first North Americans and triggering a new Ice Age.

      West first developed the theory at Gainey, Mich., another Clovis site, where he found microscopic balls that fell off of the comet. This material rarely exists on Earth and is usually produced by a meteorite or shooting star. West said that generally speaking, only one of these microscopic balls will fall a year.

      In Gainey, he found 56,000 of them.

      That got him thinking that an extraterrestrial event could have occurred. He began examining other Clovis sites. He's found similar materials in Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Canada, off the coast of California and at Topper.

      "One of the oddest things... we found that the burned 'spherals' (at Topper) seem to be made out of tree sap," West said. "So we figure when a comet came through, it set fire to a clear amount of the landscape and they (the spherals) formed when the trees were burning. We looked at them with powerful, million-dollar microscopes and they are loaded with diamonds."

      While West said he's tempted to sell them on eBay, the diamonds are smaller than a bacteria and invisible without the expensive microscopes. They formed, he said, when the comet shot through Earth's atmosphere, causing dramatic climate and pressure change.

      West believes the comet landed in fragments across the United States and wiped out much of human and animal life, either through the impactor the subsequent change in climate and temperature. Large animals likely starved to death, West said.

      While the loss of life was massive, some creatures, including humans, survived.

      "It's been a real mystery as to why this thing suddenly occurred when the Ice Age appeared to be over," he said. "We had never seen it in previous glacial cycles. It happened at a time when things should have been getting warmer."

      After the comet catastrophe, West said the Clovis culture collapsed. Goodyear's work appears to back that assertion up: Few Clovis artifacts are found after that point.

      West returned to Topper last week to collect more sediment samples for analysis.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18, 2012
        "An interesting theory put forth by David Rowley, John Spray and Simon Kelley posits that the Manicouagan crater, the Rochechouart crater (France, above), the Saint Martin crater (Manitoba, Canada), Obolon’ crater (Ukraine) and Red Wing crater (North Dakota, USA) were created in a single “crater chain” caused by a large asteroid that broke up high in the Earth’s atmosphere. Though continental drift has shifted the craters around the globe, 214 million years ago they were closer together and roughly aligned – so much so that they may have been the cause of an extinction event in the late Triassic Period of the Mesozoic Era."

        The Red Wing crater is only detectable on seismograph readings. it is in much older rock below the surface. Glaciers in more recent eras covered it over. Because of the "oil-patch" phenomenon developing in western ND, the underlying geology was brought to attention... and helped Rowley & crew to make their correlations. Odd world of sciences!
        -c