DuTemple

  • Susan English
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14 3:04 PM
       Some of you received the email (below) from author Leslie DuTemple about the  50th Anniversary Edition of the 1965 book, especially renowned in diffusionist circles.  I include here her note w/correct link to  Professor Roy Drier's and her father, Octave DuTemple's acclaimed "Prehistoric Copper Mining in  the Lake Superior Region".  I own two copies which are available on loan to any of you via the Ancient Waterways Society loaner books.  (Also have a vintage copy of the z1965 first edition which i see priced online in the $500's.)

      In contrast, i include here links to two articles from Michigan Tech. University in Houghton which hold absolutely no mention/recognition of the publicly acclaimed old copper mining book by two of their own scientists.

      I believe  MTU greatly dishonor the still-living Octave DuTemple and the late MTU professor, Roy Drier by ignoring the courageous, scholarly, and comprehensive book.  Thank goodness the family (and Octave) keep the text alive and circulating.

      See also the date in Leslie's email for AWS member, Robert Wheeler's presentation later this month in Houghton.

      Susan

      Hi Susan,

      Just wanted to let you know that a 50th Anniversary Edition of Prehistoric Copper Mining in the Lake Superior Region has just been released this month. It's been re-issued by Mudminnow Press.

      It's available in local Copper Country bookstores, through Wayne May's magazine, Amazon, Barne & Noble, and the Mudminnow Press web site:

      When these copies are gone, Mudminnow is thinking of doing an updated version that includes essays on new developments in the field.

      For anyone in the area, Robert Wheeler is doing a presentation on the book Friday June 22, 7pm, at the Portage Library in Houghton.

      Best, Lesley DuTemple
      lesleydutemple@...
      Sent from my iPad :itio
      :