AES Aztalan, June 10, Update & directions

  • Susan English
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 8, 2012
      From: Ancient Earthworks Society of Wisconsin <ancientearthworks@...>
      Date: June 8, 2012 10:39:34 AM CDT
      To: ancientearthworks@...
      Subject: AES Aztalan, June 10, Update and Directions

      The Ancient Earthworks Society
      is dedicated to the study and preservation of
      the magnificent effigy mounds of Wisconsin
      and the Midwest.

      "Alignments at Aztalan:
      How the Sky Speaks to the Ancient Mounds"

      June 10, 2012, Sunday
      1:00pm at Aztalan State Park
      • new AES maps and reports, memberships to AES  available
      • after lectures, options are side trip to 1. Christmas Hill or 2. Aztalan Museum

      Guest Lecturers: James P. Scherz, PhD
                                with Dave Weier, Jay Mullins

      See ATTACHEMENTS to email 1. Map to Aztalan State Park
                                                      2. and 3. Directions to Aztalan Museum

      Directions to Aztalan State Park:

      The park is in the Town of Aztalan, on the east side of Jefferson County Highway Q, just south of County Highway B. Coming from the west on Interstate Highway 94, reach County B by going south on State Highway 89 to Lake Mills. Coming from the east on I-94, take State Highway 26 south to Johnson Creek to County Highway B.

      Vehicle admission stickers are required. Day pass: $7.00 Season admission to all state parks: $25-$35

      MEET up with the AES group at Aztalan's lower lot (the third lot, nearest the river) at about 1:00pm.

      • Bring water, a snack, insect repellant, wear long pants and sleeves, boots, especially for Christmas Hill.
      • Parking at Christmas Hill is extremely limited, so we'll ride-share from Aztalan. To see the site at Christmas Hill requires a 15-minute walk up dirt road srrounded by brush. The mosquitoes are VERY hungry.
      • If you opt out of Christmas Hill, join others on a side trip to Aztalan Museum (see attachments AZTALAN MUSEUM 1 AND 2

       For more information call

      Linda Meadowcroft,  608-356-3556

      Dave Weier, 608-241-1444

    • Crystal Trickle
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2012
        Hi Susan I wondered if there would be any way I could get a video copy of this.I would pay for it... Please let me know.
        Thanks,
        Crystal trickle

        Sent from my iPod

      • Susan English
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 9, 2012
          Hi Crystal,

          I did not drive down to Madison to attend today's event and I havent been to any of their functions since Ancient Earthworks reorganized. If Jim Scherz, Steve Stegerwald, Dave Weier, MinnesotaStan or other AES members who are also members of our group see your message, please respond on site here. I am assuming the talks are outside and I have not been aware of other videotapes available with that geoup. But good suggestion for future activities....

          Crystal, if able to share the latest research activities of you and Wayne, please post an update. Have you or are you planning on speaking again at NEARA or Midwestern Epigraphic Society?

          Thanks for your continuing interest,
          Susan

          Sent from my iPad

          On Jun 9, 2012, at 4:20 PM, Crystal Trickle <wtrickle@...> wrote:

          > Hi Susan I wondered if there would be any way I could get a video copy of this.I would pay for it... Please let me know.
          > Thanks,
          > Crystal trickle
          >

          > Sent from my iPod

        • wayne trickle
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 20, 2012
            Hi Susan !
               Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. We have made some very exciting discoveries recently. I am looking into speaking at some conferences in the future. I will try to post a few things for you as well.I am currently writing a book about the archaeoastronomy and inscriptions that are in our research areas. I have a simple question for the group....of how much interest is there in archaeoastronomy and the simple meaning behind the certain days of the solar or lunar calenders that have been researched so far?
            Thanks,
            Crystal

            I did not drive down to Madison to attend today's event and I havent been to any of their functions since Ancient Earthworks reorganized. If Jim Scherz, Steve Stegerwald, Dave Weier, MinnesotaStan or other AES members who are also members of our group see your message, please respond on site here. I am assuming the talks are outside and I have not been aware of other videotapes available with that geoup. But good suggestion for future activities....

            Crystal, if able to share the latest research activities of you and Wayne, please post an update. Have you or are you planning on speaking again at NEARA or Midwestern Epigraphic Society?

            Thanks for your continuing interest,
            Susan

            Sent from my iPad

            On Jun 9, 2012, at 4:20 PM, Crystal Trickle <wtrickle@...> wrote:

            > Hi Susan I wondered if there would be any way I could get a video copy of this.I would pay for it... Please let me know.
            > Thanks,
            > Crystal trickle
            >

            > Sent from my iPod

          • james m clark jr
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 20, 2012
              V-e-r-y

              Irish programer Larry Lart may be able to provide data for such a use.

              it may fix an anomaly of the historical questions regarding an odd ten month calendar that had no weekly concept and at the same time
              grasping a better understanding of a 2 week month such as the Druidic calendar. Who knows the data provided and the sistum finds in Gaul and one found in northern Peru and few in Scandinava and perhaps elsewhere more than likely still has a story to tell.

              Larry is in SAA [Society of American Archaeology] at linkedin
              sistrum threads at percolumbina Inscriptions in Yahoo Groups

              be well,
              jamey

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 30, 2012
                Larry Lart's free/opensource astronomy software unimap program

                http://larryo.org/astronomy/software/unimap/index.html

                Perhaps Crystal, Larry Handcock and others at AWS could give a better review of this program. Such a link or file listed at AWS would make an interesting use of AWS's Database and perhaps intergrated with
                uonline: http://uni-map.net/uonline.html ... with only 44 registered users in that forum archaeoastronomy is bound to be taken to new hights elsewhere for some of us that wonder if the "stars are brighter in the depths of darkness". Perhaps there are better programs than this one but how do they compare user friendly wise?

                The philosophical debate between the late astronomer Dr. Ernest Martin's Sept 11th 3 B.C. date and the Urantia Book's Aug 21, 7BC date clash as far for "Star of Bethlehem" story... not to mention the the technological sources predate Radiohead's Ok Computer CD by a few decades. Nevertheless, there is a good chance that other literary sources do also... not to mention perhaps one day this will also be noted at Creation Wiki.

                be well,
                jamey