ancestors

    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2012
      The friends of the mounds has some controversy about who the correct natives were that built  the Ohio Earthworks. more specifically who has the right to dance or worship at the sites.

      I know we have crossed that subject on our site a few times and not wishing to offend anyone, I include this piece from an archeologist about ancestors.

      Food for Thought

      Long ago I decided to count my ancestors. Anyone who has not done this ought to before being told the answer to the count. The answer is important to the consideration of who built the earthworks and the builder's relationships to people today.

      Eventually, I placed the answer and my thoughts online here:

      The One Trillion Principle
      http://jqjacobs.net/anthro/ancestors.html

      Going back a mere 1000 years, counting 40 generations, you each have a trillion ancestors. In other words, more ancestors than there ever have been humans in all time. This is only possible because we all share the same few ancestors, and each person living long ago who has descendants today fills many spots in everyone's ancestor tree.

      With antiquities of great age, beyond the one trillion ancestors time, we must recognize that such ancient monuments belong to the human family, to all of us and to everyone, not to a few people who live nearby today because of some coincidence of geography or accident of chance. Ancient monuments are a global heritage and are the cultural property of humanity, and humanity is one immense family with shared ancestors.

      That said, as an archaeologist, I realize that little direct evidence is published regarding the identity of the specific people who built the earthworks. However, grand monuments like Newark with complex relationships to other major monuments of the world were not built by a few local people in isolation from the great civilizations of their time. In due time, the evidence will be revealed. The relationships to Andean sites noted here hint of this:

      Newark Archaeogeodesy
      Assessing Evidence of Geospatial Intelligence in the Americas
      http://jqjacobs.net/archaeology/newark_arcs.html