Security of the website

  • Minnesotastan@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2004
      I'm a bit unsure as to what's the best process to insure a modicum of
      security on this board. I think I've set up this site so that for the
      moment anyone can visit or "join" - they don't have to be invited, and
      certainly don't have to have any particular credentials or be a member
      of some other archaeology group.

      I think that as it's now set, anyone can READ messages and view
      photos. To WRITE a message, you may need to become a member the club.
      If you do that, you can choose any "screen name" you want.

      What I don't want to happen is for the club to be invaded by
      outsiders who are troublemakers, posting messages to buy vitamin
      supplements or posting rude photos. There is an alternative way to set
      up the club with "restricted access" which I think means that new
      members need to be invited, but for the moment that seems too
      complicated, so we'll wait to see what happens with the current open
      format.

      Please feel free to share this board's url with those you know would
      be interested or have something to contribute, but please don't post
      it widely where it might attract spammers.

      Also note that when you join this board, you can set up your
      preferences so that Yahoo sends you all new messages as emails, or set
      it up so that you receive no emails and need to check the board
      yourself occasionally for new content. Your choice.