Re: Re future supervision of this board

    Message 1 of 19 , May 7, 2012
      Members,

      SRAC director, Deb Twigg emailed management that she wished her membership be removed from this group?  i personally am sorry to see her leave; my observations are that this fine researcher has dedicated years in her efforts, takes her work and the relationships around that work very seriously.  Deb asked that we tell members who have been emailing her to stop doing so, and that she will make no replies.

      Over the weekend I was camped out of Internet range for two or three days and see that yesterday, co-host Vince Barrows found it necessary to delete eight Posts from the group.  For some reason I did not receive copies in my email box, as I usually do, and missed reading the deleted messages and their specifics.  But I do see some posts trailing after remaining posts....seems there were some group-moderating/'policing' efforts made by members.

       Vince, as a co-host, has the power to delete and likely felt that he had reasons for removal of each of the posts.  We have had a number of members resign their membership  in the past  for similar type situations such as when curator of the  Copper Culture State at that time, Ms. Bebow-Reinhard left the group.  I have left a number of YahooGroups and other associations,  myself, for varying reasons.  Usually due to no longer relating to the groups' subject matter,  or too much ego from the host or small, insensitive clicque of members.

      Please, every posting member consider the basics of why you and we are here as a group.   I agree with Steve Garcia that deletions should be a rare occasion, and this group was  set up and has done reasonably well as a group-moderating association.  Stan and i initially and still continue to try to keep the format of this intercommuncations research group simple.  I do not know if we have more than a couple or three dozen members still even following posts the past couple of years.  I personally am not interested in Polls as they generate few responses.  And certainly not Chats.  With Stan soon leaving as host,  and my not having the ability to be host or devote more time than I am putting in here, perhaps it is a good time to also re-evaluate if there is need or desire to continue the Ancient Waterways Society group much longer.  I know I have enjoyed the association, but frankly do not know if there has been much serious 'associating', inter-relating of each others' research interests or geograpical locslities, or even welcoming or mutual encouragement since the membership has grown.

       I am not interested in a group filled with parochial chit-chat  or silly computer lingo that most here have no understanding of.  Most of us get far too much of that on Facebook, Twitter, etc....

      As said before, it is a good thing we are reevaluating our own and this group's purposes and future direction together.  I hope we continue as a serious international research group along ancient, global waterways, but many groups fulfill their purposes, and perhaps that is the case here.  We shall see.

      Susan, a co-founder and co-host

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, minnesotastan@... E

      > "I haven't been much good at co-hosting the past year or so. I seem to
      > be recovered from what once looked to be a later stage progressive
      > cancer. But my end of co-hosting has been lagging in that i do not have
      > a computer, but an iPad and a low grade, slow DSL service. I cannot
      > open most of the YouTube links, attachments and sites members here
      > send."
      >
      > "Should Stan and I pass on management in the near future, I personally
      > hope there would be a third person perhaps from outside the United
      > States to keep this group a global one, follwing the wisdom within the
      > letter and spirit of "international waters" .
      > -- Susan
      >
      > I'd like to echo what Susan mentioned in her second paragraph above. I
      > plan to leave the AWS before mid-summer this year. When Susan and I
      > set up the board in 2004, the activityities,  here was infrequent and easy to
      > monitor with monthly checks (note the "message history" table at the
      > bottom of the home page). In recent years the activity has ramped up
      > significantly, to the extent that it would be worthwhile for some
      > administrator to be here daily. I can't do that; I'm having a hard time
      > reading the posts just once a week.
      >
      > I've also lost some of my enthusiasm for the subject matter, having
      > become progressively more distracted by personal and family matters.
      > I'm sure Susan and Vince can manage without me, but it would be nice to
      > have some other member step up to accept "moderator" status. When I
      > go, Susan will move up from Moderator to Owner of the board; the one
      > (significant) power this will consign to her will be that she will have
      > the power to click the "delete" button - which instantly vaporizes the
      > board and all its content into nonexistence. So you'll have to be nice
      > to her...

    • charles bruns
      Message 2 of 19 , May 7, 2012
        It seems I have cost you a brilliant member, friend, and publisher.  I will always treasure the information I have received from AWS and the stimulation from various members, some of whom I have great respect for and am always interested in what they say.  I have always been an advocate of tolerance and free speach.  I am also guilty of not sufferring fools gladly, and if my remarks offend some let me withdraw everything to soothe delicate ears.  Guess I am one of the guys who has made you all a laughing stock to the establishment.  Please remove my name and membership from this group, I had no idea how devastating my comments were nor how offended others would be.  So sorry, my apolopies.  chb

> [...]

        > bottom of the home page). In recent years the activity has ramped up
        > significantly, to the extent that it would be worthwhile for some
        > administrator to be here daily. I can't do that; I'm having a hard time
        > reading the posts just once a week.
        >
        > I've also lost some of my enthusiasm for the subject matter, having
        > become progressively more distracted by personal and family matters.
        > I'm sure Susan and Vince can manage without me, but it would be nice to
        > have some other member step up to accept "moderator" status. When I
        > go, Susan will
        move up from Moderator to Owner of the board; the one
        > (significant) power this will consign to her will be that she will have
        > the power to click the "delete" button - which instantly vaporizes the
        > board and all its content into nonexistence. So you'll have to be nice

      • TRAYLOROO
        Message 3 of 19 , May 7, 2012
          Many years ago I had a friend who had become a brigadier general and served in the Philippines in the Big War, WWII.  He said several times that .... even the lowest private knew something he did not know ....  From him I learned many things .... but I think that was the most important ....

          Another important addition to my learing was .....  we all are cousins .... This includes every person on earth today.

          Some where up the branches of our family tree our lines merge to the one trunk.

          Source from Internet, search for:   DNA REGRESSION 220,000

          Cousin CAL

          Maybe if Charles would have some crow for breakfast, then return and share some info with us from time to time ...

            ===========================

> [...]

          > bottom of the home page). In recent years the activity has ramped up
          > significantly, to the extent that it would be worthwhile for some
          > administrator to be here daily. I can't do that; I'm having a hard time
          > reading the posts just once a week.
          >
          > I've also lost some of my enthusiasm for the subject matter, having
          > become progressively more distracted by personal and family matters.
          > I'm sure Susan and Vince can manage without me, but it would be nice to
          > have some other member step up to accept "moderator" status. When I
          > go, Susan will
          move up from Moderator to Owner of the board; the one
          > (significant) power this will consign to her will be that she will have
          > the power to click the "delete" button - which instantly vaporizes the
          > board and all its content into nonexistence. So you'll have to be nice

        • TRAYLOROO
          Message 4 of 19 , May 7, 2012
            NOW to Cousin Deb .... You come back .... Lets limp along together ....

            Cousin  Cal