Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Re future supervision of this board

    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2012
      Vince, I am board with that Idea also. I like the the format we are using.  I had not gone to the home page in awhile and discovered some things I like on that page and will use more.

      Thanks to all for considering donating a computer to Susan.  I did not realize she had an I pad too.  I thought she was trying to do all she does on an I phone.
      ted
      On May 1, 2012, at 6:40 AM, Vincent Barrows wrote:

      A change in the format from forum to blog is an Idea that I am NOT in favor of; our group has searchable content that is publicly accessible and at anytime members can respond to prior messages. Blogs are much more difficult to respond to anything but the latest comment. Often blog messages are less formal than forum letters. On sending in money,Yahoo is FREE, this is not the purpose of AWS either. I do hope Susan and MinnesotaStan do choose to "stick around".

      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2012
        Vince -

        I don't know what blogs you've participated in, but none of your arguments against blogs holds true with any I've been associated with. All of them have search capabilities. Most DO have searches that work quite well. All of them are publicly accessible. In general, all blog entries are comment-able forever - unless the moderator closes out one, which we can forbid in one way or another. I've commented on blog posts more than five years old.

        As to blogs being less formal than this, yes and no. The formality here is not inherent in the board format - IMHO it is a function of the people here. I can't see the people here being less or more formal just because it might be set up as a blog. The format doesn't contribute one bit to the formality; it is US.

        Also, re your other point about Yahoo not being formatted for blogs - what does Yahoo have to do with it? Boards, forums and blogs can be anything and done by any source, not just Yahoo. If you are married to Yahoo, may I ask why? This is an incredibly antiquated means of communicating, stuck back in the mid-1990s.

        Personally, I think blogs are more 'available'. This format is quite restricting and uninviting. And it is much more 'clunky'' to get around in.

        Those are my views. No argument intended, just wondering why we would want to stay stuck in 1994.

        Steve G

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Vincent Barrows <v_barrows@...> wrote:

        > A change in the format from forum to blog is an Idea that I am NOT in favor of; our group has searchable content that is publicly accessible and at anytime members can respond to prior messages. Blogs are much more difficult to respond to anything but the latest comment. Often blog messages are less formal than forum letters. On sending in money,Yahoo is FREE, this is not the purpose of AWS either. I do hope Susan and MinnesotaStan do choose to "stick around".

      • james m clark jr
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2012
          With AWS Apps added to the site AWS would have an infrastructure to work with additional internet and group options for photos (regarding copyrights or temp images etc), chat (a chat option that wouldn't be sent to every members email an additional plus causing less congestion in group messages such as off topic & group changes etc) ... generally more informative for grouplets and moderators who opt to use special notice or daily digest options via email that can be changed at anytime. This would not only promote creativity for long time members or new members it would be an onsite extention more user friendly than many social media outlets... and ideas, AWS would be less of a "Yahoo! 2000 shell" as Forbes put it recently.

          Without Apps added to AWS AWS will never be as intended user friendly. Polls, Calendar and Conference chat for special guest or events will remain generally useless like many other public & private tech groups at Yahoo!

          Now that Chat is functional in Yahoo Groups we are only a year behind rather than a Yahoo! 2000 shell.

          I don't know about you guy but an in the field link could be quit exciting for AWS or a book review.

          This is what we could have using the current format. Apps would naturally generate interaction and in a short while in the right places at AWS. I am real excited about this because I know of no group that currently uses group options for the whole group except
          my groups I'm trying to revive.

          It takes less than 2 minutes to add all the Apps at the AWS Yahoo!site

          With a little tweeking here and there AWS could really set sail in the right direction.

          be well,
          jamey

          .

          --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Vincent Barrows <v_barrows@...> wrote:

          > A change in the format from forum to blog is an Idea that I am NOT in favor of; our group has searchable content that is publicly accessible and at anytime members can respond to prior messages. Blogs are much more difficult to respond to anything but the latest comment. Often blog messages are less formal than forum letters. On sending in money,Yahoo is FREE, this is not the purpose of AWS either. I do hope Susan and MinnesotaStan do choose to "stick around".

        • William Conner
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2012
            I also like the present format and think it would be a mistake to change it.

            William Conner

            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2012
              I agree William.

              Adding Apps to AWS site wouldn't change anything. it would only organize and improve the current format. The only thing we would have to change is personal email preference for email delivery if we so choose to moderate AWS grouplet progress somewhat like social media outlets do such as Linked In. In many ways Yahoo Group Apps are better and have just as many options if not more.

              be well,
              jmcjr